Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Abi Abi is offline

Default Abbreviation for Carbon Dioxide

How do I create the small 2 that's placed slightly higher than the other
characters in for example the abbreviation CO2?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Actually, for chemicals like that the 2 should be "slightly *lower" not
higher.After the CO type Control+= then type the 2. Then type Control+=
again to turn Subscript off. Alternatively just type the 2, select it, then
go to [depending on version of Word] Format Font & apply Subscript.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/2/09 3:27 PM, in article
, "Abi"
wrote:

How do I create the small 2 that's placed slightly higher than the other
characters in for example the abbreviation CO2?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Select the 2 and press Ctrl+= or use Format | Font | Subscript. (Note that
the 2 should be lower than the letters, not higher.)

http://word.mvps.org

"Abi" wrote in message
How do I create the small 2 that's placed slightly higher than the other
characters in for example the abbreviation CO2?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

....and if it's something you need frequently, consider creating an
AutoCorrect entry to automatically convert co2 into the correct format each
time it's typed. I use AutoCorrect entries for h2o, h2so4, etc. It's very
handy, and ultimately, a big time saver.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

.. .

wrote:

How do I create the small 2 that's placed slightly higher than the other
characters in for example the abbreviation CO2?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or, select it and type Ctrl-=. This works best if you've continued
typing your line and at some point go back and do it, so that you
don't have to worry about changing the following characters back to
normal.

Also, in some fonts (including the "C" fonts that come with Word2007,
Cambria Math, and several others, but unfortunately not Times New
Roman), there are special characters for the subscript and superscript
numbers; you get at them with Insert Symbol and going to the
"Superscripts and subscripts" section of the display (using the
dropdown at the top right).

You can then assign them Keyboard Shortcuts, or you can assign them to
AutoCorrect entries as Herb suggests.

wrote:
How do I create the small 2 that's placed slightly higher than the other
characters in for example the abbreviation CO2?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Herb,

If you've got that many chemical formulae, a macro solution like the following might do the job more efficiently -

Sub ChemicalFormatter()
Dim oRng As Range, fRng As Range
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
With Selection
Set oRng = .Range
With .Find
.ClearFormatting
.Text = "[A-Z)][0-9]{1,}"
.MatchWildcards = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Forward = True
Do While .Execute = True
Set fRng = ActiveDocument.Range(Start:=Selection.Start + 1, End:=Selection.End)
fRng.Font.Subscript = True
fRng.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseEnd
' Uncomment the next line to process only the selected range
If fRng.End = oRng.End Then Exit Do
Loop
End With
End With
oRng.Select
Set fRng = Nothing
Set oRng = Nothing
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

The above macro will search for and process all 'chemical' formulae in the document in one pass. If your document has other
upper-case alphanumeric strings in which a number follows a letter (eg Table cell references), you'll need to uncomment the line
indicated and select the range(s) containing the text to be converted.

--
Cheers
macropod

wrote:

How do I create the small 2 that's placed slightly higher than the other
characters in for example the abbreviation CO2?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

A couple more refinements:
.. Change
.Text = "[A-Z)][0-9]{1,}"
.Text = "[a-zA-Z)][0-9]{1,}"
.. Change
' Uncomment the next line to process only the selected range
' If fRng.End = oRng.End Then Exit Do
' Uncomment the next two lines to process only the selected range
' If fRng.Start = oRng.End Then Exit Do
' If fRng.End oRng.End Then fRng.End = oRng.End

--
Cheers
macropod