Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Ventouris Tom Ventouris is offline

Default Mail Merge Subject Line

I have a mail merge with tables in MS Access.
Is there any way to select the subject line on the screen that pops up when
I click Send E Mail Messages from a Field in the merged data?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you mean different subject lines for each record, when using the mail
merge tools in Word then no. The pop-up does give the option to provide a
common subject.
If you are using Outlook to send the messages then Outlook can be programmed
from Word vba, so you could create a 'roll your own' merge function.
MAPILab's Mailmerge toolkit add-in for Outlook
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/mail_merge/ adds this ability and more should
you wish to employ a commercial solution.

"Tom Ventouris" wrote in message
I have a mail merge with tables in MS Access.
Is there any way to select the subject line on the screen that pops up
when
I click Send E Mail Messages from a Field in the merged data?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you are familiar with VBA, you can use Word's MailMerge events and
VBA to specify the subject for each email.
e.g. in the VBA Editor, Insert a new Class Module, name it
EventClassModule, and insert the following code:

Public WithEvents App As Word.Application
Private Sub App_MailMergeBeforeRecordMerge( _
ByVal Doc As Document, _
Cancel As Boolean)
' set this to be the exact name
' of the field you want to use
' (uppercase/lowercase are
' significant here)
Const strSubjectFieldName = "mysubjectfield"
Doc.MailMerge.MailSubject = _
Doc.MailMerge.DataSource.DataFields(strSubjectFiel dName).Value
End Sub

In an ordinary module, put the following VBA
'---
Dim x As New EventClassModule
Sub MergeWithEvents()
EnableEventHandler
' Do the merge
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.Execute Pause:=False
' The events fire for all documents
' so disable them
DisableEventHandler
End Sub

Sub EnableEventHandler()
Set x.App = Word.Application
End Sub

Sub DisableEventHandler()
Set x.App = Nothing
End Sub
'---
Then, with your mail merge main document open, run the MergeWithEvents
subroutine to run your merge

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk