Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.tables

Default list numbering does NOT continue from previous table??????

In older versions, such as Word 2000, restarting numbering was less
predictable than it is in recent versions.

However, using numbered styles should make numbering more stable, not less.
You can control restarts for example by creating an outline list, having
higher levels restart lower ones. For other restart options, take a look at:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artmethods.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bob" wrote in message
I've been trying to AVOID using styles - as I'm already using them in
my document, and it is a COMPLETE cluster-U_know_what.

even after turning off "auto-styles", and basing styles on NOTHING -
working with styles in word is a nightmare.

besides - I want to apply this continued numbering scheme only to a
few pages in the middle of my document.

what I REALLY do NOT understand is simply this - if I highlight a
number of rows in the first column of my table, and click on format
bullets & numbering - WHY is the option to select "restart" or
"continuing" number greyed out????

if I make a new document - it works!
and I am NOT going to re-write my entire document with styles and
formatting in a new document just so this isn't greyed out - and no
guaranttee that would fix it anyway....

Stefon - I really appreciate your reply - and certainly don't want to
sound like i'm angry with you - but i'm FURIOUS with microsoft for
making such bug-riddled software, and NO attempt to fix it. I never
know if the problems I ALWAYS have with their applications is a bug
that never got fixed, or some "feature" that I don't fully
understand!!!!

I am forever frustrated when using their software. so please don't
take any sour attitude personally.... it is intended for the
programmers, marketers, and management that seem only to care about
getting my next upgrade dollar out of me rather than fixing what i'm
USING NOW!!!!

On Mar 5, 10:53 am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
Apply a numbered *paragraph style* to text; for example, you can use the
built-in List Number style (you can modify it if you want to). That way,
numbering will be continuous through-out the document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bob" wrote in message

using word 2k;

I have 2 tables separated by a hard page break.
first table has 3 columns, with first column being a numbered list.
2nd table has 6 columns, and I want the first column to be a numbered
list continuing from the previous table.

when I go into format bullets and numbering - the option to reset
numbering or continue is GREYED OUT!!!!!????

Why is this????

this works fine if i create a brand new document and create new
tables!!!!!!

why can I not modify numbering conventions in an existing
document!??!?!

TIA - Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.tables
Bob[_9_] Bob[_9_] is offline

well - I discovered what the cause of my precise problem was...
apparently - not only do "continued" lists need to use the exact same
format - but they also must use the exact same gallery window, with
the exact same formats!!!

I fixed that difference, and I would once again continue my previous
list....

"Bob" wrote in message

using word 2k;

I have 2 tables separated by a hard page break.
first table has 3 columns, with first column being a numbered list.
2nd table has 6 columns, and I want the first column to be a numbered
list continuing from the previous table.

when I go into format bullets and numbering - the option to reset
numbering or continue is GREYED OUT!!!!!????

Why is this????

this works fine if i create a brand new document and create new
tables!!!!!!

why can I not modify numbering conventions in an existing
document!??!?!

TIA - Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.tables

Word has to recognize the number sequences as part of the same list, yes. If
you make use of numbered paragraph styles, there is no doubt: if the same
style is applied to two paragraphs, those paragraphs will also be part of
the same numbering scheme. Any direct paragraph/numbering formatting can be
removed by selecting paragraphs and pressing Ctrl+Q.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP