Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
r frank r frank is offline

Default Font styles not fully recognized in Word

I'm hoping you can help with a nagging font problem.

Washington State University has an Adobe font family called Stone that is
the standard for our university -- it includes bold, semibold, medium,
italic, etc. I edit a publication that we write in MS Word then we pull the
copy into InDesign to design the publication.

We "mapped" created a "styles and formats" pallete in Word, but Word won't
recognize all the Stone font styles or accurately label them. Primary
Example: it doesn't recognize the Stone "medium" or Stone "semibold" fonts.
Instead, Word labels the medium font as Stone "regular".

So, when we bring our files into InDesign, InDesign says it can't find the
"regular" font. So, we have to identify and redirect the fonts. Then, we
have to highlight the text in articles, and use the InDesign style sheet to
convert them into the correct typeface.

It's all quite time consuming.

QUESTION: Is there a way to adjust Word so it can recognize and use all the
Stone fonts.... especially Stone medium font -- and NOT relabel medium as
"regular"... (or totally ignore the semibold font)."

Thanks in advance for your help
--
Robert Frank, editor
WSU Today
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Hi Robert -

I don't claim to be an expert here, but this may be one approach. I believe
the problem stems from the fact that Word *isn't* particularly strong in the
typography department combined with the fact that you are dealing with
variants within the same font family - Word recognizes the _family_ but not
the _variants_ within it.

What if you create character styles in Word with names that identify which
variant they are "supposed" to be - such as StoneSemi - regardless of how
Word actually sees them... the style could be formatted as Comic Sans for
that matter. Second, create a corresponding char. style in ID that specs the
*correct* typeface & map the 'phony' Word style to it.

I don't have Stone, but I did a quick test with Lucida Sans Demibold &
Demibold Italic. The 2 char styles I created in Word were *exactly the same*
except for their name, using Lucida Sans regular. I then created 2 char
styles in ID, one spec'd as LSDb, the other spec'd as LSDbI, mapped
accordingly & it seemed to work fine when I did the import.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"r frank" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
r frank r frank is offline

CyberTaz:

Thanks... that's the direction I wanted to head, and it sounds like a viable
solution.
However, can you describe for me how you actually change or rename the way
Word looks at that font or names it?

When I go into Wordformatfonts it still shows "font" as ITC Stone Serif
and the "font style" "regular" ... Can I change that label from regular to
something else? If not, InDesign keeps looking for a font with that label
then says it's unable to locate that font, and want you to specify a
substitution. And you have to go through that process everytime you place a
piece of copy... and we place hundreds with each issue.

Maybe I'm missing what you're saying ... We have a multitude of "mapped
styles" in our Word template file... but in the end they still come up
showing as using a Stone Serif or San Serif "regular" when I import or place
them into InDesign.
It appears to the be the set default label in Word.

Sorry if I missed what you were saying earlier.

Thanks in advance for your time and insights.

Bob Frank
Washington State University
http://www.wsutoday.wsu.edu

--
Robert Frank, editor
WSU Today

"r frank" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Hello Robert - Please see the interjections & reply below:

"r frank" wrote in message
CyberTaz:

Thanks... that's the direction I wanted to head, and it sounds like a
viable
solution.
However, can you describe for me how you actually change or rename the way
Word looks at that font or names it?

Word simply presents the fonts that are installed on the system where it is
being used. It reads the names from the actual font files in the system's
fonts folder. I don't know if you can change them or not, but even if you
*can* I wouldn't - fonts are temperamental enough without confusing the
issue by altering their identities

When I go into Wordformatfonts it still shows "font" as ITC Stone
Serif
and the "font style" "regular" ... Can I change that label from regular
something else?

All actual installed fonts *should* appear in the list - If there is a
separate file for each font in the "family" - ITC Stone Serif, ITC Stone
Sans Serif, ITC Stone Serif Demibold, etc. - they should all appear in the
list. the 'Master' of any font will typically offer Regular, Bold, Italic &
Bold Italic in the Font Style: list to the right of the Font: list itself.
(Certain fonts will not present the complete set of styles - such as Brush
Script MT - others will include more - such as Lucida Sans, which lists
Regular, Italic, Demibold Roman, Demibold Italic & Demibold in the style
list. (Just for clarification though, let me emphasize that the term "style"
as used in that dialog shouldn't be confused with a user-defined Character
Style.)

If not, InDesign keeps looking for a font with that label
then says it's unable to locate that font, and want you to specify a
substitution. And you have to go through that process everytime you place
piece of copy... and we place hundreds with each issue.

This as well as the above statements lead me to suspect a possibility that
has nothing to do with Word or ID specifically. As suggested above, unless
the user specifies otherwise, Stone Serif *is* Regular to both Word & ID -
that simply means _not_ bold, _not_ italic, _not_ both - . A common change
would be to apply Bold, in which case the program will comply by A) using
Stone Serif Bold *if* it is installed as a font, or B) employ a "universal"
value in the algorithm to impose bold formatting on the text. IOW, there can
be a difference between using XYZfontBold as opposed to using
XYZfont(regular) with the bold attribute applied to it when there is no
XYZfontBold available. A variants like Demibold is typically not in the list
of font styles unless it is installed as a separate font file.

There could also be a difference in how the content being placed is
interpreted dependent on whether the Word text was actually formatted using
Character & Paragraph Styles or was formatted using direct formatting (using
the FormatFont/Para menu or the toolbar controls for bold, italic, etc.).

Maybe I'm missing what you're saying ... We have a multitude of "mapped
styles" in our Word template file... but in the end they still come up
showing as using a Stone Serif or San Serif "regular" when I import or
place
them into InDesign.
It appears to the be the set default label in Word.

Sorry if I missed what you were saying earlier.

I don't think you really missed anything... in fact, I could be
misinterpreting the situation altogether - which is far more likely

Thanks in advance for your time and insights.

Bob Frank
Washington State University
http://www.wsutoday.wsu.edu

--
Robert Frank, editor
WSU Today
Washington State University

But if either of these two programs need to do font substitution [1] *or*
don't present fonts in the font list it suggests one of two things:

1) The font is *not* installed on the system opening the file _and_ the font
hasn't been embedded in the document, or
2) The font file is corrupt & can't be recognized by the program that's
trying to locate it.

Especially if the Word docs are being generated on different systems than
the ones using ID the first thing I would check is that all systems involved
in the workflow have the same versions & the same variations of the same
fonts installed. If that is the case the next thing is to reinstall the
fonts on any systems where the font file is physically present in the Fonts
folder but *not* appearing in the application's list of fonts.

Other than the obvious suggestion that you double-check your ID Import
Options settings I don't know what else to suggest.

[1] Not all programs (i.e., Word) notify the user when font substitution
takes place. Since ID *does* you may be having subs done in Word as well
without realizing it. Check ToolsOptions - Compatibility -- Font
Substitution if you suspect that might be the case.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"r frank" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
r frank r frank is offline

Bob:

Thanks again. Your last tip regarding font substitution in Word might help
reduce some of our load, there was one substitution in there that was off the
mark.

However, regarding the big issue regarding ITC Stone Serif/Sanserif Semibold
.... In reading your message, I think you're indicating that if the font files
are loaded separately the Word system might recognize it. Maybe.

Currently, ALL the Adobe Stone fonts are listed "independently" in the
WINNT\Fonts\ folder -- including semibold. As you noted the primarly Stone
Serif / Sanserif are listed without any secondary notation... hence the
"regular" default.

Anyway... to beat the proverbial dead horse. It appears that since the
semibold file is already shown in the WINNT\font folder, it probably won't do
any good to go any further, right?

Robert Frank, editor
WSU Today

"r frank" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Yessir - that's how I understand it. If the item is a legitimate font file
it *should* show up in either the list of font names _or_ in the list of
font styles, depending on whether it is designed as a font or as a
variant/style (which can apply to multiple fonts in the same family). using
Lucida Grande once again as an example, I have the following items in the
Windows Fonts folder:

Lucida Sans Regular

Lucida Sans Demibold

Lucida Sans Demibold Oblique

Lucida Sans Italic

Lucida Sans Demibold Roman

Lucida Sans Italic

However, in Word's Font list only Lucida Sans displays. The variants appear
in the adjacent Font Style list simply as Regular, Italic, DemiboldRoman,
Demibold Italic & Demibold. Demibold Oblique doesn't show up at all, which
tells me that Word can't use it.

If you have files in the folder that aren't showing up as *either* then I
would have to assume that there is something wrong with the file or (if it
is selectable in ID but not Word) Word can't make use of that file. If the
font isn't selectable in _either_ ID or Word then there may be a problem
with the file.You'd do best to get clarification on that from Adobe.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

&

"r frank" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
r frank r frank is offline

thanks... i'll get hold of Adobe's font folks again.

take the rest of the day off.

bob
--
Robert Frank, editor