Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
donna donna is offline

Default Migrating Forms created in Word 2003 to Word 2007

I had developed an Invoice Form in Word 2003. It allowed me to go into a
contact in Outlook, use the mail merge feature there, and select an existing
document (i.e., the generic invoice form) and then generate an invoice
pre-filled with the client address information. Then the form automatically
filled in a date field, and allowed me to enter some data such as "work
performed", "hours", "rate discount", etc. and then it calculated the various
sub-totals (e.g., parts and labor) and then computed the final totals. It
worked great. I turned on protection to fill in the form and let it calculate
the results.

Now I have "upgraded" to Word 2007 and I am ready to tear my hair out!
Outlook still allows me to merge a contact into my old invoice form, but then
the trouble begins. If I protect the form, none of the legacy fields can be
filled in. It only recognizes fields added with the new 2007 field formats.
Also, before, when I opened up the newly created document after clicking
"Okay" in Outlook to perform the merge, the resulting document had already
been "merged" and it was ready for me to click "protect" and then enter new
data and have it automatically calculate. Now it opens a document that has a
button that says "complete merge." If I do so, I lose all aspects of the
"form" fields.

In essence, BEFORE I had a nice solution that allowed Mail Merge and Forms
to work perfectly together. Now, instead of what was once simple elegance to
create form fields, when you click on field properties in Word 2007, it opens
up a Visual Basic scripting tool!! That is not user-friendly! Although the
"legacy" fields still exist, they do not work as they once did, namely the
protect feature does not recognize them as legitimate fields to be filled
out. And there is no equivalent of the simple-to-use "calculated" field,
rather there is a complex scripting language (VBS) to be dealt with.

Perhaps I am missing something... even though I have struggled with every
combo I can think of to make it work in the new version of Word!! If anyone
else has experienced any similar trials with converting their old 2003
functioning forms into Word 2007, I would be most grateful to hear how you
made it work! THANKS!

PS The title did not show properly in my first post. Sorry about that!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you still have access to Word 2003, you can add the controls from the old
Forms toolbar - I used the forms toolbar as an example at
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm . This should allow you to
Word much as before. Fields you protect with the lock button on the old
toolbar will still be refillable. As for the integration with Outlook, I
cannot comment. Protected forms and mail merge never worked happily
together.

If you are reading addresses from Outlook, you may find
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm useful. This method works with Office
2007 and may be integrated with the new form controls to give you what you
want?

Donna wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
donna donna is offline

Thank you, Graham, for your quick response. I will research the 3 links in
your post. To answer your question access to Word 2003, I do not believe
you can upgrade to 2007 and leave 2003 on your PC, so, no, I do not have the
old program installed - that is exactly my frustration! Everything worked
perfectly in 2003, it is 2007 that does not seem to be backwardly compatible
and hence my old forms no longer work as before. Usually, a new release is an
upgrade and you shouldnt need to go back to the old version. I have 2003
loaded on other PC's here and I could always reload it on this PC as well but
I thought the whole point of a new version was to have a BETTER product. I am
so frustrated with the new release. I was a beta tester for several months
and started to like some things about the new version and I assumed the bugs
would be cured in the final release, but alas....
I will now go check the sites you mention - thanks again!
BTW, just curious, do YOU use Word 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
donna donna is offline

Well I sort of developed a work-around - there may be an easier way but here
it is in case anyone else needs this...

I divided the document into 2 docs: Part 1 and Part2. Part 1 is just the
mail merge table for name and address fields. Part 2 is the forms part with a
placeholder table for the mailmerge data from Part 1. I perform the merge out
of Outlook using €śexisting doc€ť Part1 and then in the new document created
by that process, I click on "Finish and merge," with the option to "edit
individual" results. I then cut and paste the name and address section into
Part 2's placeholder table. The form can now be filled in using the Protect
document feature without wiping out the N&A fields, since they have become
merely text and not active fields any longer.

The problem seems to be that you can no longer use mail merge and forms in
the SAME document. If you merge, it wipes out the ability to fill in a form
or if you can fill in the form it wipes out the mail merge data. Too bad - it
used to work fine in Word 2003! (I may have mentioned that a few hundred
times, huh! Sorry, just frustrated!)
LOL,
Donna :-)

"Donna" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can not only leave Word 2003 on your PC when you upgrade, but you can
have them both on screen at the same time -
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm.

Word 2007 is radically different from Word 2003, and for experienced users
there is a steep learning curve. I have both on my PC, but as I am getting
more familiar with 2007 (needed to update my web site) I find I am using it
more for regular work. This seems to be most people's experience.

Donna wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
donna donna is offline

Just reviewed your link - That is a very cool concept - perhaps YOU should
have been on the Word 2007 re-design team - or maybe you were!? Thanks again
for your help!

- Donna

PS I agree that for the most part I like Word 2007 better as I get used to
it, but there is a lot I just stumble upon and find out about. Seems like
before, each upgrade was more of just adding a new feature here or there
....whereas now it just seems like a completely different product altogether!
I also think some of the ribbons take up a lot of screen real estate without
really adding much usefulness, and they are much wider than the old
completely customizable toolbars were... Next time Microsoft should ask ME
about user acceptance before redesigning everything, LOL! I would give them
an earful!

Donna wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I do not work for Microsoft, I was not involved in the beta testing program
and I installed Office 2007 about a month ago as I found it becoming
increasingly necessary to update my web site. You do know that you can
autohide the ribbons leaving only the tabs, if screen real estate is an
issue? Right click the tab area and select minimize the ribbon.

Donna wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
donna donna is offline

I did it by accident so I figured it could be done but I had no idea how it
happened! THANKS! That is a huge help - is there another way besides
right-click+Minimize... any keyboard shortcut I may have typed?

Donna wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike G. Mike G. is offline

Donna:

I share your frustration and just found an easy, eloquent solution from one
of the other MVPs. I tried it and it worked for me. Maybe it'll work for
you to.
Best regards, Mike

--Solution from Jay Freedman, Microsoft Word MVP
"You can add the old Lock icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Click the
down arrow at the right end of the toolbar and choose "More Commands".
In the dialog, select the category "Commands Not in the Ribbon",
select the Protect Document command in the list, and click the Add
button to copy it over to the list on the right. You can then click
the Modify button and choose the icon -- the lock icon is in the
middle of the third row."