Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
LisaH LisaH is offline

Default Problem with outline-numbered headings

My company uses a customized template in which headings are outlined
numbered. My customer sent me a document that I copied into the right
template, but there's a problem--the 2nd-level headings are not updating when
the document moves on the next section. Heading 1 has 2nd-level headings 1.1
and 1.2. Then after the Heading 2, the 2nd-level headings are numbered 1.3
and 1.4, and so on. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Of course I'm under a major deadline--thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

In Heading 1, go to the Modify Style dialog and click Format: Numbering.
Click on the currently selected pane in the list gallery and choose Modify.
Make sure that all numbering levels are linked to the appropriate heading
styles and that each lower level is set to restart numbering after the
next-higher one.