Ken

Default Voice Dictation -- Hope I am not OT

I have XP Pro and Word 2003 and a very bad arm through too much mouse and
keyboard use!!

Someone suggested Voice Dictation but tried this a couple of years ago and
could never get it very accurate.

Any tips would be good - what software -- what microphone - or anything?

Thanks

Ken

TF

Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) - a very painful condition exacerbated by
poor posture and poor equipment (such as badly designed work desk and poor
peripheral equipment like the mouse and keyboard.) Personally, I don't think
Voice Dictation Software is that good even now. 99+% sounds pretty good
until you count how many characters there are in a line of text! They also
take quite a bit of tutorage before they 'fully understand' your particular
voice/microphone combination.

That said, don't skimp on the microphone: a good quality digital microphone
improves the signal quality to the computer and makes voice to text
translation more accurate. Think of this the same way as Optical Character
Recognition: if you have a poor scanner, the OCR cannot make an accurate job
of turning a scanned document into editable text. Many of our customers use
Plantronics digital headsets and these work well.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: Someone suggested Voice Dictation but tried this a couple of years ago and
: could never get it very accurate.
:
: Any tips would be good - what software -- what microphone - or anything?
:
: Thanks
:
: Ken
:
:
:
:
:
:

Ken

Terry

Thanks for the reply.

I have decided not to pursue the voice dictation but just concentrate on the
posture, etc.

I had a special pair of glasses made yesterday which is enabling me to sit
further back from the screen and not get so hunched up.

Ken