Peter Rooney

Default Need a nonproportional font

I am an indexer (which means that I write indexes that are printed in the
backs of books). Since space for printing is limited, the book's editor
needs to know how many lines of type are contained in an index. Typically,
the editor may specify that the copy be set to a 40-character line. This
means that any word that would cause the width of a line to exceed 40
characters must be carried onto a following line.

To lay out this copy, I print it in a nonproportional type - a so-called
typewriter font. In this kind of font, 'W' and 'i' occupy the same width.I
give the file to the typesetter, who converts it and sets it ino type.

My problem is that I only have found two standard fonts: Courier New, and
Lucida Console. The first is too weak and boring, and the typeface is light;
and the second is rather ugly and doesn't have all the needed characters.

Are there other fonts that I could examine and obtain? And is there a
document that lists all the usual Word fonts, categorized by various
attributes: proportional vs. nonproportional; serif vs.sans serif;
traditional vs. modern vs. eccentric, etc? That would be a very useful
document.

--
Peter Rooney

If you have an HP LaserJet, you probably have Letter Gothic, an inoffensive
sans serif font. But I'm puzzled: surely the index is not going to be
printed in a monospaced font, so the number of *characters* in a line should
be irrelevant. Many index entries won't exceed one line anyway, but those
that do would surely be proportional?

"Peter Rooney" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Chuck Davis

[...]