Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Triplecee Triplecee is offline

Default Problems making the text fields and checkboxes function in a form using a table structure

I am desigining (trying to) a form using word from Office XP and have a
mixture of text
fields and checkboxes that I input from the forms toolbar.
When I protect the document the checkbox function works just fine but the
text fields do not.
They work just as if I was trying to replace text normally.

When I unprotect the document the text fields fully select and typing
replaces them as I would expect but the check boxes do not function.

I have tried putting in continuous section breaks and then only protecting
the checkbox sections
but that causes the section break itself to mess up the page formatting.

Any suggestions as to how to correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Triplecee Triplecee is offline

Yes, I input the check boxes and the text fields from the Forms toolbar.
The form requires mixes of check boxes and text fields. I assumed that the
text field once protected would operate the same as the MacroButton NoMacro
[Click here and type ...] field in the contemporary Fax template. However,
when I protect the document the non-field areas are protected but if I want
to use "Click here and type" in the field descriptor and just click anywhere
in the descriptor the cursor just injects between letters. The only way the
protected text field selects the whole field for replacement is if I click
on the first word of the descriptor or if there is only one word there.

I think I can make do with this but it's a bit of a nuisance to have to
provide that guidance (i.e to click on the first word of the field) to the
person who must fill in the form.

CCC

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Are you using Text Form Fields from the Forms toolbar?

so
all may benefit.

"Triplecee" wrote in message
I am desigining (trying to) a form using word from Office XP and have a
mixture of text
fields and checkboxes that I input from the forms toolbar.
When I protect the document the checkbox function works just fine but the
text fields do not.
They work just as if I was trying to replace text normally.

When I unprotect the document the text fields fully select and typing
replaces them as I would expect but the check boxes do not function.

I have tried putting in continuous section breaks and then only
protecting
the checkbox sections
but that causes the section break itself to mess up the page formatting.

Any suggestions as to how to correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The way protected forms are designed, you tab from one field to another.
Usually you have protected text that describes what you're supposed to put
in the text form field.

"Triplecee" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Triplecee" wrote in message
I am desigining (trying to) a form using word from Office XP and have a
mixture of text
fields and checkboxes that I input from the forms toolbar.
When I protect the document the checkbox function works just fine but

the
text fields do not.
They work just as if I was trying to replace text normally.

When I unprotect the document the text fields fully select and typing
replaces them as I would expect but the check boxes do not function.

I have tried putting in continuous section breaks and then only
protecting
the checkbox sections
but that causes the section break itself to mess up the page

formatting.

Any suggestions as to how to correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Triplecee Triplecee is offline

Suzanne, Thanks for your assistance.

I see now that the up front instructions for the registration form user will
have to be to tab (or Shift+tab) through the fields and type in the
requested information. The form works fine in that mode.

What happens when I have a section that looks like this:
TEL. (Res):
(area code) home number

where the "area code" and "home number" are the fields and I click randomly
in the field, the cursor inserts itself in between the letters instead of
selecting the whole field.

Might be an idea to try to change this down the line so that a tab or click
in the field selects the whole field.

The "tab" directions will be fine for the meantime.

Thanks again,