Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
zebro zebro is offline

Default Very difficult issue for me...

I have 20 rows in a table with 3 columns set exactly at a height of 4 points.

I merge 4 rows in the first column 5 times to create Five rows, each the
same size as the four original rows. Everything is okay. I merge 5 rows in
the 2nd column 4 times to create 4 rows, each the same size as the five
original rows and everything stays okay. When I go to merge any number of
rows in the third column, it causes my entire table to increase in size 3-10
pixels, throwing off the document layout--

I've tried this on several computers with the same result to rule out a bad
Office install, or changed settings.

What's going on? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

You're creating a table that's too complex for Word to deal with
comfortably.

What are you actually trying to achieve with this zany layout? Not a table,
obviously, because you can't put any text in a 4 point row.

"zebro" wrote in message
I have 20 rows in a table with 3 columns set exactly at a height of 4
points.

I merge 4 rows in the first column 5 times to create Five rows, each the
same size as the four original rows. Everything is okay. I merge 5 rows
in
the 2nd column 4 times to create 4 rows, each the same size as the five
original rows and everything stays okay. When I go to merge any number of
rows in the third column, it causes my entire table to increase in size
3-10
pixels, throwing off the document layout--

I've tried this on several computers with the same result to rule out a
bad
Office install, or changed settings.

What's going on? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
zebro zebro is offline

You'll note that, as I explained, I am merging these original 4 pt. rows to
create larger rows -- I start off with smaller rows so that I can create
columns with different numbers of rows in the same table and each column
still ends up the same height. Perhaps I'm making this harder than I need
to, but I still need an answer to my original question, which is.. Why, when
I merge cells in my last column, does the whole table expand vertically by a
few pixels? Thanks in advance for any help...

"zebro" wrote in message
I have 20 rows in a table with 3 columns set exactly at a height of 4
points.

I merge 4 rows in the first column 5 times to create Five rows, each the
same size as the four original rows. Everything is okay. I merge 5 rows
in
the 2nd column 4 times to create 4 rows, each the same size as the five
original rows and everything stays okay. When I go to merge any number of
rows in the third column, it causes my entire table to increase in size
3-10
pixels, throwing off the document layout--

I've tried this on several computers with the same result to rule out a
bad
Office install, or changed settings.

What's going on? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
zebro zebro is offline

Borders or no borders, the table will still shift-- granted that when there
are no borders, the shift is less.. thanks for your reply. That insight has
me looking at this from a different perspective. Your help is greatly
appreciated.

"zebro" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

My thought was that the width of borders seems to be added to the cell
dimensions, so more borders = more width/height.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do these merged cells have borders?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.