ML

Default Multiple Styles - Filtering/Replacing

We have a document template we are developing that has two sets of styles,
one for numbered headers/section and one for unnumbered.

Is there anyway that we can control which styles are shown to the user based
on say a userform selection where the user picks if they want the numbered
or unnumbered version?

Secondly, is there anyway to replace all the styles throughout a document
from one type to another, so that a macro could possibly be used to change
all the styles from the numbered version to the unnumbered version?

Jonathan West

Answered in the vba.general group. Please do not post multiple copies of the
same question to different groups

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP

"ML" wrote in message
We have a document template we are developing that has two sets of styles,
one for numbered headers/section and one for unnumbered.

Is there anyway that we can control which styles are shown to the user
based on say a userform selection where the user picks if they want the
numbered or unnumbered version?

Secondly, is there anyway to replace all the styles throughout a document
from one type to another, so that a macro could possibly be used to change
all the styles from the numbered version to the unnumbered version?

Margaret Aldis

If you are going to write macros anyway, and need the ability to swap
between numbered and unnumbered formats rather than mix and match, then
probably the neatest way of doing this is to use a single set of styles, and
macros to number/unnumber them.

Unnumbering is fairly straightforward - statements like:

ActiveDocument.Styles("Heading 1").LinkToListTemplate _
ListTemplate:=Nothing

for each of the styles.

Numbering is a bit trickier, as you need to do this in a way that doesn't
build up list templates. Have a look at the code at
http://www.syntagma.demon.co.uk/FAQs...le.htm#example

for the basic model. Ignore the first bit which sets up a specific style -
the main statements you want start at the comment "Create the list template
if it doesn't exist. " You'll need to adapt the code for your styles and
numbering format, and provide a name for your list template. (If you record
a macro of setting up headings from the top level style, following the
manual steps as described in
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html
you'll see what parameters you need.)

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"ML" wrote in message
We have a document template we are developing that has two sets of styles,
one for numbered headers/section and one for unnumbered.

Is there anyway that we can control which styles are shown to the user

based
on say a userform selection where the user picks if they want the numbered
or unnumbered version?

Secondly, is there anyway to replace all the styles throughout a document
from one type to another, so that a macro could possibly be used to change
all the styles from the numbered version to the unnumbered version?

ML

Thanks! This might do exatly what I need.

Basically I want to have the userform allow the user to select the desired
numbering or nonnumbering style and add or remove the numbers based on this.

So would calling the following on each style basically remove the numbering
and leave the rest of the style formatting as is? Not 100% sure what you
mean on this in terms of unnumbering.

ActiveDocument.Styles("Heading 1").LinkToListTemplate _
ListTemplate:=Nothing

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...

"ML" wrote in message
We have a document template we are developing that has two sets of
styles,
one for numbered headers/section and one for unnumbered.

Is there anyway that we can control which styles are shown to the user

based
on say a userform selection where the user picks if they want the
numbered
or unnumbered version?

Secondly, is there anyway to replace all the styles throughout a document
from one type to another, so that a macro could possibly be used to
change
all the styles from the numbered version to the unnumbered version?

Margaret Aldis

Yes, by 'unnumber' I mean remove the numbering, leaving everything else as
is. of course, you might want to fiddle with the indents or something else
as well, depending on your format (use of margins etc.) for the two
different styles, but you'll see that in your actual document.

--

"ML" wrote in message
We have a document template we are developing that has two sets of
styles,
one for numbered headers/section and one for unnumbered.

Is there anyway that we can control which styles are shown to the user

based
on say a userform selection where the user picks if they want the
numbered
or unnumbered version?

Secondly, is there anyway to replace all the styles throughout a

document
from one type to another, so that a macro could possibly be used to
change
all the styles from the numbered version to the unnumbered version?

Margaret Aldis

Worth also noting that unless you've some other user input to collect you
can avoid the user form and just give the user menu items or toolbar buttons
for 'number headings' or 'unnumber headings' - or even a single toggle
button to check whether the styles are currently numbered (look at the
linked list template) and run one or other of the macros as appropriate.

I'd also recommend resetting the heading paragraphs to style after change of
numbering format - keeps everything clean and can be used to tidy up when
user or Word has applied numbering as direct formatting (where changing
styles won't help).

Code something like:

Dim apara As Paragraph
Dim stylename As String
For Each apara In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
stylename = apara.Style
If stylename Like "Heading*" Then apara.Reset
Next apara