Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sammy Sammy is offline

Default Use of Captions Changes Paragraph Spacing

Hi All,

I like using captions to associate an inserted picture with a location in
the text, but everytime i add a caption, my paragraph spacing changes.

I like to have 6pt spacing After an enter and have set this in my normal.dot
file. When i add a caption this changes to 0pt spacing. How can I make this
stop?

Thanks,
Sammy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
periodic periodic is offline

What styles are you using for captions?
And for what styles do you want a 6pt spacing after the paragraph?
Or do you set this 6pt spacing for the normal style and you do not get it
for the caption?
Or is all other paragraphs reset to having 0pt after them?

"sammy" wrote:

Hi All,

I like using captions to associate an inserted picture with a location in
the text, but everytime i add a caption, my paragraph spacing changes.

I like to have 6pt spacing After an enter and have set this in my normal.dot
file. When i add a caption this changes to 0pt spacing. How can I make this
stop?

Thanks,
Sammy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sammy Sammy is offline

Thanks for responding.

What styles are you using for captions?

I didn't set a style to be used for captions but the style is "caption" so i
suppose this is the default. Where can i set the style that will be used by
captions?

And for what styles do you want a 6pt spacing after the paragraph?
Or do you set this 6pt spacing for the normal style and you do not get it
for the caption?

I use the "normal" text style for my typical paragraphs although i generally
just change the spacing on the fly when i start a document but i don't
actually change the "style". Okay, my bad. And now i see where you're going
with this. Somewhere, i can probably set the style to use for captions and
what style to use following captions. It is acting like "Normal" is the style
to use following captions and the Normal "Style" is set to 0pt spacing.

I guess my question now is where or how can i address the style that is to
be used for captions?

Or is all other paragraphs reset to having 0pt after them?

I haven't noticed and at this time it is probably just a moot question.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

Sammy

"sammy" wrote:

Hi All,

I like using captions to associate an inserted picture with a location in
the text, but everytime i add a caption, my paragraph spacing changes.

I like to have 6pt spacing After an enter and have set this in my normal.dot
file. When i add a caption this changes to 0pt spacing. How can I make this
stop?

Thanks,
Sammy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You need to modify the Caption style. You can add 6 pts Space After to it as
well if you like, and you can choose what style you want to follow it. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html

Thanks for responding.

"sammy" wrote:

Hi All,

I like using captions to associate an inserted picture with a location

in
the text, but everytime i add a caption, my paragraph spacing changes.

I like to have 6pt spacing After an enter and have set this in my

normal.dot
file. When i add a caption this changes to 0pt spacing. How can I make

this
stop?

Thanks,
Sammy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sammy Sammy is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for the pointer to shaunakelly.com. This got me close enough to find
the answer i was looking for but i had to flip a couple extra buttons. The
style Caption was not in the list so i had to "Show Custom" then put a
checkmark at Caption.

Anyway, i'm off and running again thanks to you and periodic.

Sammy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You need to modify the Caption style. You can add 6 pts Space After to it as
well if you like, and you can choose what style you want to follow it. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html

Thanks for responding.

"sammy" wrote:

Hi All,

I like using captions to associate an inserted picture with a location

in
the text, but everytime i add a caption, my paragraph spacing changes.

I like to have 6pt spacing After an enter and have set this in my

normal.dot
file. When i add a caption this changes to 0pt spacing. How can I make

this
stop?

Thanks,
Sammy

paragraph spacing bpk Microsoft Word Help 6 May 8th 07 10:29 AM
Paragraph spacing in PX? JoeyZaZa Microsoft Word Help 2 December 22nd 06 07:21 PM
Paragraph Spacing LGFN Page Layout 6 May 30th 06 01:16 AM
paragraph spacing flannad Microsoft Word Help 2 May 7th 06 07:04 AM
paragraph spacing in a STYLE applies within the paragraph eric matschke Microsoft Word Help 5 January 3rd 06 10:16 PM