Woody Splawn

Default Long Documents and memory

I'm sorry for the crosspost but after looking at other newsgroups I think
this may be the best place for this question. If there is a better
place please inform me.

I have a Pentium 2.6 GHZ machine with a half gig of memory. I have one
document is 76
pages long, with lots of links to other documents but no graphics. I find
that the Windows
performance monitor says I am using over 50% of my CPU when this document is
open open. I am just wondering what if anything can be done about this. Is
it possible that the file is corrupt or is this normal for a file of this
size. The actual size in Windows Explorer is 543kb. If the file is corrupt
how may I determine this and how may it be fixed?

It is not clear to me if adding another half gig or ram would be of
particular help or not. If so, that is an option but performance monitor
indicates my memory use is only at about 256 K. I find that if the WORD
file is minimized, the CPU usage drops way down. It is inconvenient,
however, to have to manually minimize the file when I alt-tab to various
windows. Maybe there is a switch in WORD that will reduce them to an icon
automatically when you tab to something else.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jonathan West

Hi Woody,

If it is just this document and no other which causes this problem, then I
would suspect corruption.

A simple thing that might strip out the corruption is to take a copy of the
document, save is as an RTF file. Close it, re-open the RTF file and then
save it again as a document.

If this doesn't impove things, then try selecting all the document except
for the last paragraph mark, and then copying & pasting to a new blank
document.

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP

"Woody Splawn" wrote in message
[...]

Woody Splawn

Saving to and rtf and reopening and saving again as a doc file did the
trick.

Thank you. I sure appreciate your input.

GH

Hi Jonathan.

I tried to save as the document as RTF, ignored the warning that macros
and versionhandling will be enabled, but following happened:

- CPU usage increased to 100%
- Word did not answer, had to close after some minutes

I don't think that it is a memory size problem.

Do you have any proposal?

Thanks
Georg