Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] nickchimp@gmail.com is offline

Default print job size

I've got a HP Photosmart 8450 printer and have noticed something very
odd about the size of print jobs in the print queue when printing from
Word.

If I open a word document, the very first time I print it, the job
size in the print queue is different than all subsequent times the
document is printed. It's important I get an accurate reading of the
print job size for an application I'm writing.

For example, in one document, the first time I print I get 102kb
displayed in the job size column, all other times 88.1kb. Once I shut
word down the pattern repeats itself. The behaviour is OS independent
and Word version independent.

I've tried other printers and some of them exhibit the problem, some
of them don't.

Interestingly I don't get any job size differences printing through
Wordpad or OpenOffice Write

I've tried changing all manner of settings and nothing seems to stop
the problem happening.

I'm going around in circles trying to get to the bottom of this.
Anyone out there got any thoughts or see this behaviour themselves and
know of a solution ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Nick

wrote:
[...]

no solution, just some thoughts: what happens when you edit anything
with the document in between. Say, after your first print job, add one
character. Then print again. And print again afterwards. Are there any
size differences in the later two jobs?

0.002cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] nickchimp@gmail.com is offline

On 1 Mar, 20:32, "Robert M. Franz (RMF)"
wrote:
Hello Nick

wrote:
[...]

Hello there, thanks for replying. In answer to your question, here is
an example based on a simple word doc

(a) First time open - print - 104380 bytes
(b) Edit doc by adding one character - 90148 bytes
(c) Print again - 90148 bytes
(d) Print again - 90148 bytes
etc

The first time print is always bigger than subsequent prints, almost
as if Word is passing more information to the printer the first time a
document is printed.

As I mentioned, some printers work fine. I tried it on a Samsung laser
printer and it all worked as expected. It seems to be a combination of
Word and some printers (possibly non-laser printers, but that's just a
guess really).

regards

Nick
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Nick

wrote:
[..]
Hello there, thanks for replying. In answer to your question, here is
an example based on a simple word doc

(a) First time open - print - 104380 bytes
(b) Edit doc by adding one character - 90148 bytes
(c) Print again - 90148 bytes
(d) Print again - 90148 bytes
etc

The first time print is always bigger than subsequent prints, almost
as if Word is passing more information to the printer the first time a
document is printed.

As I mentioned, some printers work fine. I tried it on a Samsung laser
printer and it all worked as expected. It seems to be a combination of
Word and some printers (possibly non-laser printers, but that's just a
guess really).

hmm, not much to add to here then. And I don't really know whether
another of the Newsgroups in the microsoft.public.word. hierarchy is
better suited for that sort of question (maybe .printingfonts?).

To find out, you'll probably have to discuss this with the printer
driver manufacturer. When all is said and done, the resolution might as
well be that Word or the OS is saying "hi" to the printer ... :-)

0.002cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

why i cannot print in A4 size? tad Microsoft Word Help 6 November 13th 06 11:00 PM
Word Office 2007 beta. Opening print dialog box alters print size. HTWB Microsoft Word Help 1 July 1st 06 10:01 PM
Customize print to print out 3 x 3 poster size? Fox Hills Microsoft Word Help 1 April 3rd 06 11:17 PM
Print size! carbonater New Users 1 January 20th 06 05:58 PM
during print preview legal size document cuts to letter size Jim Microsoft Word Help 0 April 19th 05 11:00 PM