Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SueL SueL is offline

Default Sorting pages alphabetically

I have a document with a series of tables one on each page and I need to
alphabetize the pages either by a cell within each table or an added field or
2. I do have merged cells in the table and this is one problem I have had
already.
Is this possible, if so how??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

SueL wrote:
I have a document with a series of tables one on each page and I need
to alphabetize the pages either by a cell within each table or an
added field or
2. I do have merged cells in the table and this is one problem I
have had already.
Is this possible, if so how??

It _may_ be possible, but unless you can describe the document in much more
detail there's no way to know what will or won't work.

- Is there anything else in the document besides the tables?
- How are the pages separated from each other?
- The description "either by a cell within each table or an added field or
2" is much too vague. Is the cell always in the same position within the
table? If not, how would it be recognized? What do you mean by "an added
field or 2"? Where would these be, and what would be in them?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SueL SueL is offline

Yes I know, it's complicated. I've sort of solved the problem by a
compromise of putting all the data into one row per page and 2 columns with
the 2nd column being the data for sorting.
It's not ideal having all my data in one cell/per page, but as I said a
compromise.

The question for fields was is there a way of inserting a field in a
page/table and sorting on the filed entry?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

SueL wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PamC PamC is offline

You may be able to use Word's outline feature to do this. I do this
regularly with 300 heading 1s and fairly complex content.

First, if you already have heading 1s in your document, you should
temporarily reassign them. Then put the words you want to sort by above each
table and style it as Heading 1 (or another paragraph style that you have
assigned a paragraph outline level of 1 to. ) In outline view, collapse the
view so only the heading 1 level is showing. Select all of the heading 1s,
and sort them. When you return to page layout view, your document should be
sorted (everything subordinate to a heading stays with it).

If Word finds your doc to be too complex, it may stumble on this, so please
try this on a copy of your file.

PamC