Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
B.Jones B.Jones is offline

Default How do I stop character replacement?

Whenever I try to type certain characters (such as "?"), Microsoft Word
automatically places different onces (such as "É") in their place instead.
Closing and re-opening the program doesn't seem to make it go away; it only
started happening today. The problem only persists when typing in Microsoft
Word and no other programs so I don't think it's my PC's universal keyboard
settings.

Did I activate some sort of hidden Microsoft Word keymap replacement macro,
or something of the like? How do I revert it so I can type typical characters
normally like before?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Three possibilities immediately spring to mind

1. It really is the keyboard mapping - check Windows Regional settings to
ensure you are using the correct keyboard pattern for your keyboard.
2. You have activated an autocorrect option in Word
3. You are using some obscure font.

B.Jones wrote:
Whenever I try to type certain characters (such as "?"), Microsoft
Word automatically places different onces (such as "É") in their
place instead. Closing and re-opening the program doesn't seem to
make it go away; it only started happening today. The problem only
persists when typing in Microsoft Word and no other programs so I
don't think it's my PC's universal keyboard settings.

Did I activate some sort of hidden Microsoft Word keymap replacement
macro, or something of the like? How do I revert it so I can type
typical characters normally like before?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
B.Jones[_2_] B.Jones[_2_] is offline

Regional keyboard settings are fine. I also haven't changed my AutoCorrect
settings to my knowledge.

I'm not sure if his helps any, but: the re-mapped keys all seem to be
replacing symbol keys ( Such as: { [ ' / ? ) Also, whenever I hit the ' key,
it seems to activate some sort of accent mode... e.g., pressing ' + e would
make è, or pressing ' + u would make ù, and so on. It doesn't seem to be a
toggle-thing though; it has to be pressed before each letter if I want to add
the accent.