Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AMYJO AMYJO is offline

Default Opening an old Word document, date changed to current date

When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to the
current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had. I am
using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I can
see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the file, but
I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date last
modified for the file.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Press Alt+F9 to toggle the field code display and edit the DATE field code
to read CREATEDATE. Then Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to update. The date
displayed will be the date the document was created, and it will not change.

http://word.mvps.org

"AMYJO" wrote in message
When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to the
current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had. I
am
using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I can
see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the file,
but
I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date
last
modified for the file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You may also need to add a formatting switch to retain the same format -
Press ALT+F9 change { DATE } or { TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy" } to { CREATEDATE \@
"d MMM yyyy" } then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your letterhead
template so that future letters based on it show the correct dates. The
switch \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location.

See http://www.gmayor.com/stop_automatic_date_update.htm

"AMYJO" wrote in message
When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to
the
current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had. I
am
using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I
can
see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the file,
but
I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date
last
modified for the file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the original DATE field contains a formatting switch, then changing DATE
to CREATEDATE will not alter that switch; the format should stay the same.

http://word.mvps.org

"AMYJO" wrote in message
When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to
the
current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had. I
am
using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I
can
see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the file,
but
I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date
last
modified for the file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

True, but if it doesn't have a switch, changing the field type will affect
the display. Createdate without a switch will include the time.

"AMYJO" wrote in message
When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to
the
current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had.
I am
using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I
can
see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the
file, but
I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date
last
modified for the file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Interesting. I would have thought that the default format of any kind of
date field, absent switches, would be whatever format you've selected as the
default in the Date and Time dialog.