Bernie Marquardt Bernie Marquardt is offline
Junior Member

Default Foreign accents

Hi there. I am always amazed at the ways of making accents in text. I type in several languages and over the years I got used to using for instance alt+130 (on the numeric keyboard) to render an é, or alt+164 to render a ñ. Now if I invoke the function in Microsoft Word to insert a symbol, it has other numbers to do the same thing, like alt+0233 for the é and alt+0241 for the ñ. (Notice the added 0). Both systems work. And I a believe in Word 2007, there are even additional methods to do this. Why isn't there a standard way? Will the old method (the one I am used to) be phased out?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are indeed numerous ways, including built-in keyboard shortcuts just
for Word; see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/InsertSpecChars.htm.
Different strokes for different folks. I believe the Alt+00x and Alt+000x
shortcuts work only for ASCII character numbers; for Unicode numbers, you
have to use Alt+X or another shortcut.

http://word.mvps.org

"Bernie Marquardt" wrote in
message ...

--
Bernie Marquardt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Bernie,

You're stepping into a quagmire here. :-)

Computers use "code pages" to translate between numbers (which is really all
they use internally) and the characters -- technically, the "glyphs" or
pictures of characters -- that appear on the screen.

The numbers you're used to are defined by code page 437, the IBM PC or
MS-DOS code page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437). While this is
older than Windows and isn't used much by current software, I doubt that any
manufacturer intends to completely remove support for it.

The numbers with the 0 prefix are from the Windows 1252 code page
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1252), which is pretty much standard
for Western languages. This code page has a different order for the letters
outside the basic alphabet, and the drawing characters are replaced with
more accented letters.

There are indeed other ways
(http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/I...pecChars.htm): In recent versions
of Word you can type the Unicode number directly into the text and then
press Alt+X; some symbols have default shortcuts; and there's a Symbols
dialog to let you click a picture of the one you want.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Bernie Marquardt wrote:
Hi there. I am always amazed at the ways of making accents in text. I
type in several languages and over the years I got used to using for
instance alt+130 (on the numeric keyboard) to render an é, or alt+164
to render a ñ. Now if I invoke the function in Microsoft Word to
insert a symbol, it has other numbers to do the same thing, like
alt+0233 for the é and alt+0241 for the ñ. (Notice the added 0). Both
systems work. And I a believe in Word 2007, there are even additional
methods to do this. Why isn't there a standard way? Will the old
method (the one I am used to) be phased out?

Bernie Marquardt Bernie Marquardt is offline
Junior Member

Thank you, Jay and Suzanne, for your input. You both gave me a lot of information to work with. That was quite instructive. I'll be sure and come back to this forum about Word. For years I have used Word from MS Office XP standard, but I am trying to get used to Word 2007, which is quite complex in comparison.
Bernie

Foreign accents not displaying Uddhava Microsoft Word Help 6 August 5th 09 04:29 AM
How do you add accents? PumpkinKingExtraordinaire Microsoft Word Help 3 February 10th 07 04:51 AM
Accents Riverturn Microsoft Word Help 2 January 25th 07 05:30 PM
Accents tan Microsoft Word Help 3 August 29th 06 12:49 PM
Using foreign language accents with Speech? birdfishy Microsoft Word Help 4 August 27th 05 05:11 PM