Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed from AZ Ed from AZ is offline

Default Dealing with annoying add-in changing Normal?

This is about my work computer - XP Pro, Office 2003. The corporate
mandate includes an add-in for Word. It's in the Admin-level Default
Users folders, and I can't get to it. I deleted it from my user-level
start up folder, but it's back again - I guess it checks and if
missing replicates itself into every user level start folder.

I don't use it and likely never will. It puts toolbars up which I
kill with an Document_Open macro in the ThisDocument module of
Normal. I end the macro with Me.Saved = True, but I still get the
"Saving Normal.dot" message every time I close Word. I unchecked the
warning in Tools Options just to get rid of that box every time I
close the app!

Is there any relief for this? Is there a way to either stop this
thing from loading or unload it and tell Word it's okay? Or even just
tell Word immediately after loading that it's fine and clean,
regardless of what this thing does?

Ed
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Normally add-ins shouldn't affect normal.dot, but not all are well behaved.

What I would try first is to open normal.dot, turn off the toolbars that the
add-in produces, type a character into the text space, delete it then save
and close normal.dot.

Some corporate systems replace normal.dot by a log-in script so this respite
(if any) would be short lived.

If you have the required permission, you could change your local startup
folder through tools options file locations to a location on your PC.
This might fool the addin or script to continue to place it in the old
folder, much depends on how it is set up, but you stand the chance of
invoking corporate wrath. Your better choice is to chat with your IT support
and get the add-in removed from your log-in.

Ed from AZ wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed from AZ Ed from AZ is offline

Thanks for the help, Graham. I tried changing folders, but
unfortunately it didn't work! I guess I just get to deal with this!

Ed

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Ed from AZ wrote:
[...]

Ed- Hide quoted text -

Footnotes and Endnotes, dealing with them from older programs in MS Word Bill From DegiCank Formatting Long Documents 5 June 6th 06 09:47 AM
changing normal.doc DSJR Page Layout 3 May 14th 06 05:04 PM
Dealing with a Document of Death in Word 2003 [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 7 August 2nd 05 06:03 PM
dealing with confidential document rasha Microsoft Word Help 2 July 31st 05 05:09 PM
Annoying toolbars I don't want to appear on my "normal" template d Katrina Microsoft Word Help 0 July 14th 05 01:16 AM