Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffH JeffH is offline

Default Formatting problems - headers

I have a document where by I have headers. I have one header where by the
formatting carries over to the subsequent page. The header is shaded and the
shading also appears on the previous page. If I delete the page break on the
doesn't show.

When I look at the formatting all the other headers are preceded by a small
square. This is obviously some indicator that I'm not familiar with.

I didn't create this document and not very familiar with it. It is in a
columnar format.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I assume you're referring to a heading rather than a header. This is a known
problem when you insert a manual page break; the page break inherits the
formatting of the following paragraph. You can get around this by deleting
the manual page break and formatting the heading as "Page break before." Do
this on the Line and Page Breaks tab of Format | Paragraph.

The small square indicates that "Page break before," "Keep with next," "Keep
lines together," or "Suppress line numbering" has been enabled for that
paragraph. All Headings 1-4 are by default formatted as "Keep with next."

For more on nonprinting characters, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

"JeffH" wrote in message
I have a document where by I have headers. I have one header where by the
formatting carries over to the subsequent page. The header is shaded and
the
shading also appears on the previous page. If I delete the page break on
doesn't show.

When I look at the formatting all the other headers are preceded by a
small
square. This is obviously some indicator that I'm not familiar with.

I didn't create this document and not very familiar with it. It is in a
columnar format.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffH JeffH is offline

The problem with inserting a page break before is that now I have a blank
page inserted in the middle of the document.

"JeffH" wrote in message
I have a document where by I have headers. I have one header where by the
formatting carries over to the subsequent page. The header is shaded and
the
shading also appears on the previous page. If I delete the page break on
doesn't show.

When I look at the formatting all the other headers are preceded by a
small
square. This is obviously some indicator that I'm not familiar with.

I didn't create this document and not very familiar with it. It is in a
columnar format.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffH JeffH is offline

If I do a page break (ctrl enter) following the 1st paragraph (I want to put
a new heading just following the 1st paragraph and start it on a new page)
then I press enter before the new heading the format does not go back to the
subsequent page. However, I now have a extra line just preceding the heading
on the new page.

If I delete the new paragraph just before the heading the heading loses all
its formatting. It just shows as normal text.

"Peter A" wrote:

In article ,
says...
I am working with Headings.

I wonder if you have a line break (Ctrl+Enter) rather than a paragraph
break (Enter) after the heading. This starts a new line but not a new
paragraph, so the paragraph formatting carries over. Show your
formatting marks and look for a paragraph symbol versus a bent arrow.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffH JeffH is offline

I did as you suggested and it added a blank page prior to the heading. Thus
I got an empty page in the middle of my document. Note that I did not insert
a page break before the heading. There was just a paragraph return and then
the heading.

This was suggested in a prior reply.

Here is Suzzane's recommendation:

I assume you're referring to a heading rather than a header. This is a known
problem when you insert a manual page break; the page break inherits the
formatting of the following paragraph. You can get around this by deleting
the manual page break and formatting the heading as "Page break before." Do
this on the Line and Page Breaks tab of Format | Paragraph.

The small square indicates that "Page break before," "Keep with next," "Keep
lines together," or "Suppress line numbering" has been enabled for that
paragraph. All Headings 1-4 are by default formatted as "Keep with next."
__________

I am assuming you are suggesting the same.
"Peter A" wrote:

In article ,
says...
If I do a page break (ctrl enter) following the 1st paragraph (I want to put
a new heading just following the 1st paragraph and start it on a new page)
then I press enter before the new heading the format does not go back to the
subsequent page. However, I now have a extra line just preceding the heading
on the new page.

If I delete the new paragraph just before the heading the heading loses all
its formatting. It just shows as normal text.

If you want a particular heading level to always start on a new page,
modify the heading style with the Page Break Before option turned on.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers
www.tech-word.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have deleted the manual page break and applied "Page break before" to
just the heading, you should not be getting a blank page. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BlankPage.htm

"JeffH" wrote in message
[...]

"Peter A" wrote:

In article ,