Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy Kathy is offline

Default Word Documents Autosaving in weird format

Hi,
As of recently my computer has taken to automatically creating an additional
version of Word documents (I am using Word 2003). The additional version
starts with ~$

So for example if I was working on the a document called kathywork.doc, the
computer will also automatically create a version called ~$thywork.DOC. If I
try to open the automatically created document, then the File Conversion box
pops up. Any ideas on how to prevent these additional docs from saving
themselves? They are cluttering up my files.

--
Kathy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is the owner file; see "Description of how Word creates temporary
files"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632

I think you won't see it if you don't have hidden and system files
displayed, but it is quite normal and necessary. It's the "lock" file that
prevents anyone else from opening the document for editing while you're
working on it.