Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cynthia MacD. Cynthia MacD. is offline

Default Producing Envelope from Template document

Hi,

My company recently created our letterhead using a Template document. When
I was unable to print an envelope using Tools - Letters and Mailings, I
contacted the staff who created it and asked how to print envelopes. Their
response was it can't be done. Can it?

I look forward to your response.
Cynthia

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Cynthia MacD." wrote:

Hi,

My company recently created our letterhead using a Template document. When
I was unable to print an envelope using Tools - Letters and Mailings, I
contacted the staff who created it and asked how to print envelopes. Their
response was it can't be done. Can it?

What happened exactly when you tried to print envelopes? "I was unable
to(...)" does not mean much without knowing what happened.
Also, what did you expect that would happen when you tried?
Depending on the nature of the problem, it might be useful to know what Word
version you are using.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cynthia MacD.[_2_] Cynthia MacD.[_2_] is offline

Hi, and thanks for your quick response. I realized as soon as I hit 'send'
that I'd left out a few important bits...

First, I'm using MS Office 2003.

When I go to 'tools' 'letters and mailings' to print out an envelope,
everything in the dialogue box is 'greyed out' -- inaccessible to me.

Ordinarily, from here I can choose mail merge, envelopes and labels, or
letter wizard, however this template (which has a .doc extension) won't allow
any of the above.

Thanks again,
Cynthia

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Cynthia MacD." wrote:

Hi,

My company recently created our letterhead using a Template document. When
I was unable to print an envelope using Tools - Letters and Mailings, I
contacted the staff who created it and asked how to print envelopes. Their
response was it can't be done. Can it?

What happened exactly when you tried to print envelopes? "I was unable
to(...)" does not mean much without knowing what happened.
Also, what did you expect that would happen when you tried?
Depending on the nature of the problem, it might be useful to know what Word
version you are using.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Cynthia MacD." wrote:

Hi, and thanks for your quick response. I realized as soon as I hit 'send'
that I'd left out a few important bits...

First, I'm using MS Office 2003.

When I go to 'tools' 'letters and mailings' to print out an envelope,
everything in the dialogue box is 'greyed out' -- inaccessible to me.

Ordinarily, from here I can choose mail merge, envelopes and labels, or
letter wizard, however this template (which has a .doc extension) won't allow
any of the above.

Is that function available when using other documents? (Not documents based
on that particular template.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It's a poor letter template that blocks the ability to create envelopes
while using it. Furthermore templates should have a DOT extension, be saved
in the User Template (or Workgroup) folder and new documents should be
created from them. This has the makings of a lash-up. I hope the company
didn't pay the staff responsible much for it

If all else fails, you can modify the envelope templates that you can
download from my web site to your requirements and copy/paste the addressee
information from letter to envelope.