Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
AndyC812 AndyC812 is offline

Default Problems Merging Data from Excel to Word for MAC

I developed a spreadsheet and accompanying Word report templates in Office
2003 on Windows. When I go to use them on a Mac with Office 2004 I am
getting some unusual behavior. Particularly with large merge fields, when
they come over into the Word the merge data is truncated or worse, it gets
truncated and extra character has an underscore between them l_i_k_e
t_h_i_s. This renders my reports useless. Has anyone ever run into this
problem? I can't seem to find any documentation on this anywhere.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I am not sure if it is the same on the MAC, but in Word 2003 on Windows,
from the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the General tab and check
the box against the Confirm conversions at open item. Then when you attach
the data source to the mail merge main document, select the DDE method of
connection.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"AndyC812" wrote in message
I developed a spreadsheet and accompanying Word report templates in Office
2003 on Windows. When I go to use them on a Mac with Office 2004 I am
getting some unusual behavior. Particularly with large merge fields, when
they come over into the Word the merge data is truncated or worse, it gets
truncated and extra character has an underscore between them l_i_k_e
t_h_i_s. This renders my reports useless. Has anyone ever run into this
problem? I can't seem to find any documentation on this anywhere.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
AndyC812 AndyC812 is offline

I don't understand. I can't even figure out how to use "DDE" in Windows,
much less Mac. I get an error that the connection cannot be established with
the Excel file. Could you give me a little bit more on this? How will this
avoid truncation?

"AndyC812" wrote in message
I developed a spreadsheet and accompanying Word report templates in Office
2003 on Windows. When I go to use them on a Mac with Office 2004 I am
getting some unusual behavior. Particularly with large merge fields, when
they come over into the Word the merge data is truncated or worse, it gets
truncated and extra character has an underscore between them l_i_k_e
t_h_i_s. This renders my reports useless. Has anyone ever run into this
problem? I can't seem to find any documentation on this anywhere.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Like I said, in Word 2003 on Windows, from the Tools menu, select Options
and then go to the General tab and check the box against the Confirm
conversions at open item. Then when you attach the data source to the mail
merge main document, you will be presented with a dialog box asking you to
select the method by which the connection should be made. Select the DDE
method of connection.

The reason that it may avoid the truncation is because it is a different
method that is being used.
--

"AndyC812" wrote in message
I developed a spreadsheet and accompanying Word report templates in
Office
2003 on Windows. When I go to use them on a Mac with Office 2004 I am
getting some unusual behavior. Particularly with large merge fields,
when
they come over into the Word the merge data is truncated or worse, it
gets
truncated and extra character has an underscore between them l_i_k_e
t_h_i_s. This renders my reports useless. Has anyone ever run into
this
problem? I can't seem to find any documentation on this anywhere.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
AndyC812 AndyC812 is offline

Thanks. I was not able to get this to work in Windows. I did what you said
and it consistently gave me an error message that it was not able to
establish a connection to the Excel file using DDE. Suggestions?