GH

Default in which mode do you work with a long document,, 300 pages?

Hi,

I assume that this has been documented long time ago.
What is your recommendation?

It takes almost 30 seconds to convert to "print review mode", so I
loose a lot of time of converting between the different modes.

Thanks
Georg

Daiya Mitchell

Normal View. Because it's faster--long streams of type is what it's
designed to work with. You probably don't need to worry about how it's
going to look when you print it until you are actually ready to print it.

Outline View may also be exceedingly useful:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...singOLView.htm

By print review mode, do you mean Print Preview--which yes, would take a
while as Word is speaking to the printer driver and setting it up as it
would actually be printed--or Print Layout View, which does a
rough-and-ready job of presenting approximately as it will be printed, and
definitely ought not to take 30 secs?

I assume you mean Print Preview--while it is possible to edit in that mode
(I've heard), it's not a great idea to do much substantive work, as it puts
quite a burden on Word.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Robert M. Franz

Hi GH

GH wrote:
I assume that this has been documented long time ago.
What is your recommendation?

It takes almost 30 seconds to convert to "print review mode", so I
loose a lot of time of converting between the different modes.

Then: Don't convert! :-)

Seriously, it depends on what you are doing. While content-related work
is done (i.e., text is _written_, or micro-typography is done, etc.), I
work in Normal view. Exclusively.

For pagination, I use Print Layout View, or even Print Preview. In an
ideal world, you do pagination once (and once only) in any long
document. That is, if you do "Pagination" work at all. If you don't have
big objects that make for large whitespace, and/or if your final output
format is, say, HTML, or something else but you need it too frequently
to really care for great pagination, then just don't do it.

YMMV
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
GH

Thank you Daiya and Robert,

I think I have now an idea.
My document is filled with tables and images of different sizes.
Pagination is important.

Best regards
Georg