Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rendt Rendt is offline

Default Heading number resets after save

Word 2007: After I set numbering value for a numbered heading, this resets to
the template default after re-opening the document.

This appears to be due to "update document styles" enabled in the loaded
template dialog. I absolutely need this functionality.

I am trying to set chapter numbers (and page numbers that include chapter
number i.e. 3-99) for 10 documents that make up a dissertation and which need
to be coherent. (TOC and index)

How can I force the Heading 1 number to keep an assigned value?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you have automatically update styles checked, then that's exactly what it
does and what you appear to be reporting?

Rendt wrote:
Word 2007: After I set numbering value for a numbered heading, this
resets to the template default after re-opening the document.

This appears to be due to "update document styles" enabled in the
loaded template dialog. I absolutely need this functionality.

I am trying to set chapter numbers (and page numbers that include
chapter number i.e. 3-99) for 10 documents that make up a
dissertation and which need to be coherent. (TOC and index)

How can I force the Heading 1 number to keep an assigned value?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rendt Rendt is offline

Ok, let me rephrase that:

I want document styles to be updated from template changes. But I do not
want numbering values to be reset.

When I format a word within a paragraph as eg bold, the formatting is not
reset when I save or make changes to the style. Same logic with assigning
custom numbering values, they should not be reset.

Is there a work around that lets me use and fix outline numbering without it
being reset to defaults?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The "Start at" setting, which you can specify for any level of an
outline-numbered list, is actually stored with the list; when you update
document styles (via the setting in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box),
Word will apply the settings of the list template (numbering scheme)
associated with the corresponding style in the attached document template.
There is no way around that, other than clearing the "Automatically
update..." option, that is.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rendt" wrote in message
news
Ok, let me rephrase that:

I want document styles to be updated from template changes. But I do not
want numbering values to be reset.

When I format a word within a paragraph as eg bold, the formatting is not
reset when I save or make changes to the style. Same logic with assigning
custom numbering values, they should not be reset.

Is there a work around that lets me use and fix outline numbering without
it
being reset to defaults?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rendt Rendt is offline

Thanks Stefan, that makes sense.

This may go beyond 'simple', but could I draft a little macro that would
allow me to set the numbering value, also store it separately in the document
and then reset it on every document load?
The reason? Among other, I need to compile an index across documents. To
identify the source document from the master index I can use page numbering
that includes chapter numbers (1-123). The only alternative, to put the 300
pages into one document becomes very unwieldy.
Can you advise how I can access the formatting of the (first) chapter
heading in a document from Visual Basic?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

This seems like a complex task. To find out if/how it can be done, you will
have to ask in a Word programming newsgroup such as
microsoft.public.word.vba.general.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rendt" wrote in message
Thanks Stefan, that makes sense.

This may go beyond 'simple', but could I draft a little macro that would
allow me to set the numbering value, also store it separately in the
document
and then reset it on every document load?
The reason? Among other, I need to compile an index across documents. To
identify the source document from the master index I can use page
numbering
that includes chapter numbers (1-123). The only alternative, to put the
300
pages into one document becomes very unwieldy.
Can you advise how I can access the formatting of the (first) chapter
heading in a document from Visual Basic?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rendt Rendt is offline

Cheers Stefan:

I just wrote it. Using the Macro Recorder it wasn't so hard to write
routines to add to the template that let you set and which will refresh the
numbering on autoopen. acivedocument.variables("HeadingNum) saves the counter
in the document itself.

"Rendt" wrote in message
Thanks Stefan, that makes sense.

This may go beyond 'simple', but could I draft a little macro that would
allow me to set the numbering value, also store it separately in the
document
and then reset it on every document load?
The reason? Among other, I need to compile an index across documents. To
identify the source document from the master index I can use page
numbering
that includes chapter numbers (1-123). The only alternative, to put the
300
pages into one document becomes very unwieldy.
Can you advise how I can access the formatting of the (first) chapter
heading in a document from Visual Basic?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted!

--