Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terri[_2_] Terri[_2_] is offline

Default Need help sorting and need a real pro - this is a toughy.

Perhaps someone can tell me how to sort this list:
1. joe smith 1 main st someplace ny 11300
2. mary jones 2 central ave anywhere ny 11456

and so forth. I would like to sort them in alphabetical order by first or
last name and have the rest of the information appear as well. If necessary,
I can eliminate the numbers preceding the name. I could have a list of up to
50 to sort. I use Word 2003 and Windows XP Pro.
Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Remove the numbers. To sort by first name, use Table | Sort and choose
Paragraph. To sort by last name, select space as the field separator and
sort on Word 1.

http://word.mvps.org

"Terri" wrote in message
Perhaps someone can tell me how to sort this list:
1. joe smith 1 main st someplace ny 11300
2. mary jones 2 central ave anywhere ny 11456

and so forth. I would like to sort them in alphabetical order by first or
last name and have the rest of the information appear as well. If
necessary, I can eliminate the numbers preceding the name. I could have a
list of up to 50 to sort. I use Word 2003 and Windows XP Pro.
Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve[_16_] Steve[_16_] is offline

Hello Terri.

Your list could easily be transformed into a simple database application.
First name, last name, address, city, state and zipcide would be stored as
separate fields in the database and you could sort ascending or descending
on any field. The sorted list could be displayed on-screen and/or printed
out. If you think this might work better for you and/or if you have
questions, contact me at . I could build this database for
you for a very modest fee.

Steve

"Terri" wrote in message
Perhaps someone can tell me how to sort this list:
1. joe smith 1 main st someplace ny 11300
2. mary jones 2 central ave anywhere ny 11456

and so forth. I would like to sort them in alphabetical order by first or
last name and have the rest of the information appear as well. If
necessary, I can eliminate the numbers preceding the name. I could have a
list of up to 50 to sort. I use Word 2003 and Windows XP Pro.
Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think Suzanne meant to write "word 2". It works in W2007 €” & should work
in W2003 & before €”as long as you don't have middle names or initials.

PamC

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Remove the numbers. To sort by first name, use Table | Sort and choose
Paragraph. To sort by last name, select space as the field separator and
sort on Word 1.

Perhaps someone can tell me how to sort this list:
1. joe smith 1 main st someplace ny 11300

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
list of up to 50 to sort. I use Word 2003 and Windows XP Pro.
Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"Terri" wrote in message
Perhaps someone can tell me how to sort this list:
1. joe smith 1 main st someplace ny 11300
2. mary jones 2 central ave anywhere ny 11456

and so forth. I would like to sort them in alphabetical order by first or
last name and have the rest of the information appear as well. If
necessary, I can eliminate the numbers preceding the name. I could have a
list of up to 50 to sort. I use Word 2003 and Windows XP Pro.
Thanks so much.

What is the purpose of this list? You might be better off using a
spreadsheet application rather than a WP one. Depends on what you are using
the data for...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terri[_2_] Terri[_2_] is offline

I can't use Excel for this as it is simply a list which I fax daily but
would like it sorted. It still is not working at all with the instructions
given. Any other suggestions?

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Terri" wrote in message
Perhaps someone can tell me how to sort this list:
1. joe smith 1 main st someplace ny 11300
2. mary jones 2 central ave anywhere ny 11456

and so forth. I would like to sort them in alphabetical order by first or
last name and have the rest of the information appear as well. If
necessary, I can eliminate the numbers preceding the name. I could have a
list of up to 50 to sort. I use Word 2003 and Windows XP Pro.
Thanks so much.

What is the purpose of this list? You might be better off using a
spreadsheet application rather than a WP one. Depends on what you are
using the data for...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"Terri" wrote in message
I can't use Excel for this as it is simply a list which I fax daily

So why does that preclude Excel?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve[_16_] Steve[_16_] is offline

Terri,

FYI, if you did your contacts in a database, it could easily be faxed! A
database would be much easier for you than doing your list in Word.

Steve

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Terri" wrote in message
Perhaps someone can tell me how to sort this list:
1. joe smith 1 main st someplace ny 11300
2. mary jones 2 central ave anywhere ny 11456

and so forth. I would like to sort them in alphabetical order by first
or last name and have the rest of the information appear as well. If
necessary, I can eliminate the numbers preceding the name. I could have
a list of up to 50 to sort. I use Word 2003 and Windows XP Pro.
Thanks so much.

What is the purpose of this list? You might be better off using a
spreadsheet application rather than a WP one. Depends on what you are
using the data for...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"Steve" wrote in message
m...
Terri,

FYI, if you did your contacts in a database, it could easily be faxed! A
database would be much easier for you than doing your list in Word.

Or Excel which is what I suggested......

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"Steve" wrote in message
m...
Yes, you are right but a database is the correct tool to use not a
spreadsheet.

Not at all. If it's just a simple list then a spreadsheet is perfectly
adequate...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You say it doesn't work, but you haven't said what you get. Does it not
sort (rearrange) at all? Or does it rearrange oddly?

BTW, I agree that for your undelimited list, Word should provide the simplest
way to get the sort done.

Pam

Terri wrote:
I can't use Excel for this as it is simply a list which I fax daily but
would like it sorted. It still is not working at all with the instructions
given. Any other suggestions?

Perhaps someone can tell me how to sort this list:
1. joe smith 1 main st someplace ny 11300

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
spreadsheet application rather than a WP one. Depends on what you are
using the data for...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terri[_2_] Terri[_2_] is offline

Pam:

I am starting with:

Ann smith

123 east main st

Anywhere PA 18298

John Doe

253 central ave

New York NY 10001

Bob Jones

87 munn ave

Harrisburg pa 18378

I select them all - go to Sort - on options I chose just a space bar and
then on the main page I chose Paragraph Text Ascending and this is what I
get.

123 east main st

253 central ave

87 munn ave

Ann smith

Anywhere PA 18298

Bob Jones

Harrisburg pa 18378

John Doe

New York NY 10001

Perhaps this is easier to tell me what to do...

Thanks!

Terri wrote:
I can't use Excel for this as it is simply a list which I fax daily but
would like it sorted. It still is not working at all with the instructions
given. Any other suggestions?

Perhaps someone can tell me how to sort this list:
1. joe smith 1 main st someplace ny 11300

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
spreadsheet application rather than a WP one. Depends on what you are
using the data for...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That is quite different from what was originally posted. For this you need
to first replace every paragraph break (^p) with a line break (^l). Then
replace two line breaks (^l^l) with a paragraph break. Then you should be
able to sort the paragraphs.

http://word.mvps.org

Terri wrote:
I can't use Excel for this as it is simply a list which I fax daily but
would like it sorted. It still is not working at all with the
instructions
given. Any other suggestions?

Perhaps someone can tell me how to sort this list:
1. joe smith 1 main st someplace ny 11300
[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
spreadsheet application rather than a WP one. Depends on what you are
using the data for...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

What do you do with the addresses after they are sorted? If you want
flexible data, i.e. the ability to sort, mail merge envelopes/labels, mail
merge directly to fax, create a two-column directory, etc then you need to
convert it into a list that can be used with mail merge. Right now all you
have is multiple paragraphs and there isn't a way to "tell" Word which
paragraphs need to stay together. It needs to be set up such as:

Ann Smith 123 east main st Anywhere PA 18298
John Doe 253 central ave New York NY 10001

Similar to the examples you previously provided. :-)

Here's an article that provides instructions on converting your data into a
list:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ToDatafile.htm

Now, if you want to forgo the potential flexibility and you want is to sort
your addresses then you need to replace the paragraph mark at the end of
each line in the address with a manual line break (Shift+Enter). so you can
treat each address as one paragraph which can be sorted.

You can use still use Find/Replace (described in the cited article) but use
the following in Find/Replace:

Find: ^p^p
Replace with: @@@@
Replace All

Find: ^p
Replace with: ^l
Replace All

Find: @@@@
Replace with: ^p
Replace All

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Terri" wrote in message
Pam:

I am starting with:

Ann smith

123 east main st

Anywhere PA 18298

John Doe

253 central ave

New York NY 10001

Bob Jones

87 munn ave

Harrisburg pa 18378

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The Replace operation I describe requires just two passes instead of three.

http://word.mvps.org

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
[...]

"Terri" wrote in message
Pam: