Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Beadedowl Beadedowl is offline

Default Mail Merge Recipient List Editing

I am able to get to the recipient's list for editing a mail merge document.
And I can get to the data form (which is a Word„˘ 2007 document). However, it
will not allow me to view the source as I used to do with Word„˘ 2000. The
button is greyed out. Is there a setting I forgot to select to allow this
option?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In Word 2007 you need to select the name of the data source file in the
box that appears in the bottom left of the Edit Recipients dialog - then
the Edit option should be ungreyed, unless something else is wrong.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Beadedowl wrote:
I am able to get to the recipient's list for editing a mail merge document.
And I can get to the data form (which is a Word„˘ 2007 document). However, it
will not allow me to view the source as I used to do with Word„˘ 2000. The
button is greyed out. Is there a setting I forgot to select to allow this
option?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You must select the data source in the lower part of the edit data window -
see http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

Beadedowl wrote:
I am able to get to the recipient's list for editing a mail merge
document. And I can get to the data form (which is a WordT 2007
document). However, it will not allow me to view the source as I
used to do with WordT 2000. The button is greyed out. Is there a
setting I forgot to select to allow this option?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Beadedowl Beadedowl is offline

I have selected the data source file as I mentioned in my posting. Then I
click on Edit. This takes me to the data form. However the "View Source"
button is greyed out. I used this many times in Word„˘ 2000 to change the
data file. But it does not work on Word„˘ 2007. Does the data file need to
be a ".docx" to work?

Beadedowl wrote:
I am able to get to the recipient's list for editing a mail merge document.
And I can get to the data form (which is a Word„˘ 2007 document). However, it
will not allow me to view the source as I used to do with Word„˘ 2000. The
button is greyed out. Is there a setting I forgot to select to allow this
option?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Beadedowl Beadedowl is offline

I am doing that, but the next window titled "Data Form" will not let me click
on the "View Source" button.

Beadedowl wrote:
I am able to get to the recipient's list for editing a mail merge
document. And I can get to the data form (which is a WordT 2007
document). However, it will not allow me to view the source as I
used to do with WordT 2000. The button is greyed out. Is there a
setting I forgot to select to allow this option?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, I do not know what, if anything, ungreys that particular option in
Word 2007. Using .docx rather than .doc does not appear to be enough.
You can still open the data source document separately and edit it
directly, but because Microsoft has made a number of unhelpful changes
in data source behaviour in 2007, I wouldn't expect reliability in this
area, especially if you try to mix-and-match the two methods of editing
data.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk