Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Default Resetting Emphasis style in DOCX document

Office 2007 SP1
XP Pro SP3

Problem: Resetting Emphasis style in DOCX document

In my DOCX document called MyDocx, the built-in Emphasis style has both bold
and italic. However, a new document shows Emphasis as only italic. Therefore,
I assume the built-in Emphasis style was changed in my DOCX document somehow,
but is correct in Normal.dotm. Therefore, I wanted to copy the Normal.dotm
Emphasis style to my MyDocx.

Using the Organizer, I saw that Normal.dotm only shows a few styles.
Emphasis was not one of them. So how can I have Normal.dotm display all the
styles so I can see Emphasis and copy it over to MyDocx?

I also tried using Automatically Update Document Styles check box in the
Templates And Add-Ins dialog box assuming that the Emphasis from Normal.dotm
with only italic would be automatically transferred to MyDocx making it
italic only. That did not work for some unknown reason.

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

By default, the Organizer dialog box only includes styles that has been
actually used. You should be able to change the visibility of styles in the
template, but the following method will be easier:

Create a new, blank document. Type some text and then apply the Emphasis
style. Save the document. Use the Organizer to copy the style from the
document you just created.

Note that by default you will always see normal.dotm in the Organizer, but
you can click Close File and then Open File to locate any document (don't
forget to change the file type in the dialog box) from which you want to
copy styles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kmac kmac is offline

If it is correct in Normal.dotm, then make sure you are in the document you
want to copy to, open the Styles pane and click on Manage Styles (it's the
third box at the bottom right) and then click on Import/Export (at bottom
left) and then you should see all the styles in your Normal.dotm. Select the
style in the "Normal.dotm" window on the right side and then click Copy in
the middle and it will copy to the document you are currently working in.
Hope this works for you.

"John" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See my other reply for a way to do this.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kmac kmac is offline

John, after re-reading your post, I think there's probably a quicker way to
fix your problem. I'm sorry I didn't pick up on the fact that you seem to
have already tried what I was suggesting.

If I understand correctly, your main goal is to remove the bolding in the
Emphasis style in MyDocx. Have your tried modifying your Emphasis style in
your MyDocx to remove the bold? Maybe you already know how to do that but if
not you right click on the Emphasis style in the Style Pane while you're in
MyDocx and then you click Format button at the bottom left of screen. You
should see the "B" button in sort of the middle of the screen - it toggles
just like Bold button on your Ribbon. Click it off and then you can choose
at the bottom whether it's only in this document or any new docs from this
template (which it sounds like you already have happening). Then just click
OK and you should be good to go.

If the Bold doesn't show up in the Style when you Modify it, then that
probably means that the Bold is applied to your text as direct formatting and
is not included in the Style which, of course, means that you would have to
go to each instance of Emphasis text in your document and manually correct
it. You could use Find and Replace to assist you with that since you can
Find "Bold" and Replace with nothing.
Good luck.

"John" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kmac kmac is offline

Apparently I am in too big a hurry today. After your right-click the style,
you click Modify, then go on with instructions below. Sorry.

"John" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

The reason I want to use the original built-in Emphasis style from
Normal.dotm is so I know that it is the original "factory" setting. Not a
modified setting as has somehow occurred in the document.

In theory, setting the Automatically Update Document Styles check box in the
Templates And Add-Ins dialog box should convert Emphasis style to the
Normal.dotm setting, but it does not for some unclear reason.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Stefan - Thank you for the feedback. I did what you suggested and it worked.

It would be helpful to know why setting the Automatically Update Document
Styles check box in the Templates And Add-Ins dialog box did not convert the
Emphasis style to the Normal.dotm setting. Do you have any idea? Is there
something unique about built-in styles and Automatically Update Document?
Thanks

"John" wrote:

The reason I want to use the original built-in Emphasis style from
Normal.dotm is so I know that it is the original "factory" setting. Not a
modified setting as has somehow occurred in the document.

In theory, setting the Automatically Update Document Styles check box in the
Templates And Add-Ins dialog box should convert Emphasis style to the
Normal.dotm setting, but it does not for some unclear reason.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm glad you got it sorted!

I'm not sure why "Automatically update..." didn't work. Let me think about
that...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP