Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mike_c mike_c is offline

Default Word 2007 Field Update

I believe fields are supposed to update on opening by default, but mine never
dop. I can only update manually in the body of text or a header/footer. How
can I get them to auto-update (Ctrl+SHIFT+F11 does nothing)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Assuming you open in Print Layout view, certain fields will be updated
because the document is repaginated; see €śWhich fields are updated when you
open, repaginate, or print document€ť at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211629. Some fields must still be updated
explicitly with F9.

http://word.mvps.org

"mike_c" wrote in message
I believe fields are supposed to update on opening by default, but mine
never
dop. I can only update manually in the body of text or a header/footer.
How
can I get them to auto-update (Ctrl+SHIFT+F11 does nothing)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi mike_c,

How can I get them to auto-update (Ctrl+SHIFT+F11 does nothing)

Ctrl+SHIFT+F11 isn't supposed to update fields. That's what F9 is for. To update all fields you can do a Print Preview or Ctrl-A
followed by F9 (though the latter will only update fields in the body of the document).

--
Cheers
macropod

"mike_c" wrote in message ...
I believe fields are supposed to update on opening by default, but mine never
dop. I can only update manually in the body of text or a header/footer. How
can I get them to auto-update (Ctrl+SHIFT+F11 does nothing)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you want to force an update on opening the document, you could add an
autoopen macro to its template to update the fields in the document. The
sample update code used as an example at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm would work in most instances - or
simply add the update macro to a QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) button and have
it always available to update your fields whenever you wish.