Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JGT JGT is offline

Default insert file in word 2007 not working correctly

I'm creating a document that basically has
1) a header followed by a three column table
2) the first column contains a number one (using the document number icon on
the ribbon) thus as I add new rows to the table the first cell is
automatically updated with the next sequential number
3) the next two columns are for misc information
4) there are no additional rows at this time in this table
5) I then start a new header+table as described above

Because I have a LOT of these entries I found it much eaiser to create
several sets of the header + table as described above. In this section of the
document the header has (as a place holder) xx for the text. I can then
highlight a set, cut and paste into the desired location in my document. The
first time I created these sets it was a time consuming task.

In that the document has a LOT of sections and I use a LOT of the header +
table entries and now I need to create more of header + table sections and I
don't want to go through the time consuming effort.

I therefore created a document with just a page of header+table sets. I then
created a second document of header+table sets. Now I thought I could just
merge the two documents (Insert Object Text from File) but the results is
not as expected. The first set of header+table all have a number 1 in the
first column/row but the inserted document has a 2 in the first column/row.
Yes I can manually change the 2 to a 1 but again this takes a lot of time.

When I insert the two documents as described above or with a copy from one
document to the other document (copy/paste) how do I get the second sets of
header+table to retain the number one in the first column/row?

This is difficult for me to describe and I'd be happy to send two small test
documents to anybody that thinks they can help.