Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] matt.jaffe@gmail.com is offline

Default Is "extend selection" mode supposed to work across embedded objectsin Word 2010?

In Word 2010, I'm referring to the use of the F8 key. When I position the mouse and click, turn on the extend selection mode with the F8 key, and than move the mouse to another location and click to select the region of text in between the two locations, everything works as I expect, *except* if there's a picture in the middle of the text I'm trying to select. In that case, the second mouse click appears to turn off the extended selection mode and no text whatsoever is highlighted/selected. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Other?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you are trying to do should work, assuming that Text Wrapping for the
picture is "In line with text." Such pictures are treated as (large) text
characters.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

skrev i meddelandet
In Word 2010, I'm referring to the use of the F8 key. When I position the
mouse and click, turn on the extend selection mode with the F8 key, and
than move the mouse to another location and click to select the region of
text in between the two locations, everything works as I expect, *except*
if there's a picture in the middle of the text I'm trying to select. In
that case, the second mouse click appears to turn off the extended
selection mode and no text whatsoever is highlighted/selected. Is this
normal? Am I doing something wrong? Other?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Friday, January 17, 2014 3:39:12 AM UTC-7, Stefan Blom wrote:
What you are trying to do should work, assuming that Text Wrapping for the

picture is "In line with text." Such pictures are treated as (large) text

characters.

Thanks for you help so far, but it turns out the problem is not related to pictures, but there's still a problem. Here's what I know now: I have a large, fairly complicated document (sections, bookmarks, footnotes, fields,etc). There are regions even of straight text that I can't select with the Extended Selection mode --- I left-click the mouse, press F8, Extend Selection shows on the status bar, but as soon as I scroll with the mouse wheel, Extend Selection disappears from the status bar. Now the next thing I tried is copying the "difficult region" into a new (and therefore simpler) blank document. I select the text to be copied by just left-dragging with the mouse to select it and then copying it into a new document. Now everything works as desired in the new document --- the mouse wheel does not turn off the Extend Selection mode. But it still does (the mouse wheel turns off the Extend Selection mode) in the large complex original document. My conclusion is that there is something about the size/complexity of the original document that's causing the problem. Any ideas? Other parameters that are set or unset in the original that are not set the same way in a new blank document which is why the different behavior in the extracted/copied document? Wish I could post a sample document with the problem, but I can't --- the documents with the problems are pretty large, small extracts into new documents don't have the problem.

--

Stefan Blom

Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Me, I've never tried to use F8; I simply put the cursor at the start of the selection, scroll to the end of the selection, and Shift-click at the end
point.

Your selections seem too big to try simply Shift-dragging.

On Friday, January 17, 2014 11:05:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

i agree: holding Shift and clicking at the end of the selection should do
the trick in most cases...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]