Eric G

Default Styles, black squares & tildes in left margin

Hello,

Windows XPP SP2
Office 2003 SP1

Just a quick question.

When using styles in Word, there is a style area that can be set in the marging of the display. But, to the right of the style area, in the very left of the display, there are little black squares (whatever they are called) showing up. I've looked around but not found any further info on these, but I think that they indicate an original style has been modified. I don't even know what they are called.

But now I've also got thin tildes (~) showing in some paragraphs, above the little squares. What function do these tildes have, and what are they called (to enable me to find more information).

Best regards

Eric G
Stockholm, Sweden

Eric G

Suzanne,

Many thanks for the reference, your explanation was spot on - as usual.

My tildes sit straight above the black square, so to say at the very top of the row, and appeared after I copied some text from one document to another. I've never seen them before, but no to worry, one day I'll learn about them as well.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Eric G
Stockholm, Sweden