Default section break vs. manual page break?

Is a section break the same as a manual page break?
--
AKS
Doug Robbins

No, in a number of ways.

A section break can be continuous so that it does not force a new page, but
more importantly, there are a number of features (headers, footers, margins,
vertical alignment, page numbering, etc) that are properties of sections and
can be made to apply just to an individual section.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
wrote in message
Is a section break the same as a manual page break?
--
AKS

Sharon Roffey

Dear AKS,

As Doug says, the choice between Page Break and Section Break (mainly)
concerns the settings in Page Setup. I notice that your post is under the New
User category so allow me to give you some detailed pointers.

When you come to the Page Break/Section Break question, ask yourself this:
€śDo I want to start a new page where all the page settings (margins,
headers, etc.) are the same?€ť

If you answer €śyes€ť you need a Page Break.
If you answer €śno€ť you need a Section Break.

As an example: you may need to include a very wide table in your document.
You can see that theres no way it will fit within the current page width. So
you take these actions:

1. Insert a Section Break (choose Next page)
2. Go into Page Setup and switch to Landscape
3. Check under €śApply to:€ť to make sure €śThis section€ť is indicated
(usually it will be)
4. Create your table

When you have finished your table:

Repeat the above switching back to Portrait at step 2.

Section Break (Continuous) is another good example to describe the
versatility of Section Breaks. Rather than starting a new page with a
different layout (as above), Continuous lets you have several layouts on one
page (hence, €ścontinuous€ť).

Example: Lets say that you have a €śnewspaper€ť type document (perhaps a
flyer) where the page is mainly 2-column format BUT €¦ there is a paragraph of
text at the top that follows the normal page widths. So, you would do this:

1. Type your paragraph text
2. Insert a Section Break (Continuous)
3. Select 2-column format
4. Type your columns

If, for any reason, you needed to switch back to the normal page width

5. Insert another Section Break (Continuous)
6. Switch back to 1-column and continue

Hope that helps. These are only the broad strokes €“ Im sure (in fact, I
know!) that when you start working with Section Breaks youll have more
questions but it should set you on the right path. :-)

--
Sharon Roffey
"A little knowledge goes a long way ... a lot of knowledge goes even further!"