Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dns2005

Default Insert Field - Database - Wrong Date Format

Please help!!

I've had an ongoing problem with inserting a database query into a word
document via the Insert Field option, in that the date format changes from UK
to US during the transfer from MS Access to Word. I'm using Office 2003 and
all SPs are up to date. I've checked the language settings and this is set to
UK default (both within Control Panel and also MS Office Language settings.
I had this problem previously when using Office XP and had hoped that
upgrading would resolve it, unfortunately this was not the case. The steps I
follow a

Within MS Word - Insert Menu, Field, Database, Insert Database, Get Data,
Select the relevant MS Access DB and then the Query, Insert All and check the
Insert Data as Field option, however, still I end up with a US date format.

Within the database itself the date shows as UK and the original table entry
is set to Date/Time, Short Date.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See the "Dates: day/month reversed" item under the "Connection methods"
topic of the "Mail merge in Word 2002" section of fellow MVP Cindy
Meister's website at:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"dns2005" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dns2005

Hi Doug

Thanks for your advice, I've tried changing the connection methods and still
encounter the same error. I daresay I'll have to live with formatting the
field as Text within the database.

Thanks again though, much appreciated.

Donna

"dns2005" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?ZG5zMjAwNQ==?=,

Thanks for your advice, I've tried changing the connection methods and still
encounter the same error. I daresay I'll have to live with formatting the
field as Text within the database.

Set up a query (rather than using a table). In the query, instead of using the
data field directly, create an expression:

xDate: Format({datefield}, "m/d/yy")

this will pass the information as literal text and Word won't try to "fiddle"
how it displays. "xDate" can be anything you like, it's what will appear as the
field name in the resultant dynaset. Put the field name in the braces.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)