Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
StargateFan

Default FACEID template no longer works now that I'm in Windows 2000 ...

Don't know if this is a Windows 2000 or a Word question, so pls advise
if I'm in the wrong ng.

A few years back I dl the FACEID document from this webpage,
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...ttonImages.htm, or one
similar. Since I dl, it worked fine all the time in Win98SE. In my
new installation of Windows 2000, it doesn't work properly. I get a
blank document labelled template1 but nothing shows up. If I change
docts via the Window pulldown, it flickers on for a moment but then
again disappears. At first I had thought it might be the macro
security and so changed that to medium, but problem persists.

Does anyone know where I can look for a solution to this problem?
Again, if there is a better ng, pls advise.

Thanks. D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
StargateFan

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:09:11 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

IIRC, the template contains a macro (which must be enabled) that you have to
run to produce the button image table.

Yes, as I mentioned, changed macro security level to medium and when
file pops up, I enable the macros same as always. All I get is a
flicker of the FACEID panes and then everything disappears.

Well, go figure! I hadn't installed service pack 3 for Windows 2000
I realized after posting this msg so went and did that yesterday.
Same problem persisted yesterday even after that and even after a
couple of reboots but just now, to be sure, I went to check one last
time to see if this still persisted. I got the FACEID panes and they
stayed! Guess it needed 3 reboots to work! g

Guess it was a Windows problem after all. I'm not holding my breath,
but hopefully this continues to work. I use these FACEID panes quite
a bit. I went hunting for other files in both Word and Excel but none
are as good as this one as it presents all the icons in only 4 panes!

Thanks. Sorry to have bothered the group, but so far, so good
fingers crossed. D

"StargateFan" wrote in message
.. .
Don't know if this is a Windows 2000 or a Word question, so pls advise
if I'm in the wrong ng.

A few years back I dl the FACEID document from this webpage,
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...ttonImages.htm, or one
similar. Since I dl, it worked fine all the time in Win98SE. In my
new installation of Windows 2000, it doesn't work properly. I get a
blank document labelled template1 but nothing shows up. If I change
docts via the Window pulldown, it flickers on for a moment but then
again disappears. At first I had thought it might be the macro
security and so changed that to medium, but problem persists.

Does anyone know where I can look for a solution to this problem?
Again, if there is a better ng, pls advise.

Thanks. D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It's been so long since I did this that perhaps I'm thinking of something
different, but when I did it, the macro created a table that could be saved
as a document. IOW, it was not necessary to run the macro more than once.

wrote:

[...]

so
all may benefit.

"StargateFan" wrote in message
.. .
Don't know if this is a Windows 2000 or a Word question, so pls advise
if I'm in the wrong ng.

A few years back I dl the FACEID document from this webpage,
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...ttonImages.htm, or one
similar. Since I dl, it worked fine all the time in Win98SE. In my
new installation of Windows 2000, it doesn't work properly. I get a
blank document labelled template1 but nothing shows up. If I change
docts via the Window pulldown, it flickers on for a moment but then
again disappears. At first I had thought it might be the macro
security and so changed that to medium, but problem persists.

Does anyone know where I can look for a solution to this problem?
Again, if there is a better ng, pls advise.

Thanks. D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
StargateFan

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:06:42 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

It's been so long since I did this that perhaps I'm thinking of something
different, but when I did it, the macro created a table that could be saved
as a document. IOW, it was not necessary to run the macro more than once.

Yes, it did but imperfectly. There was an error in the macro each
time and only a fraction of FACEIDs were done. Sorry, should have
mentioned. There were also a few repeats.

Also, copying the images wouldn't work so was very glad when it worked
yesterday but it's doing it again! I can't understand the problems
I'm having with Windows 2000. It's got to be a windows problem (?) as
the only time this worked was right after I put in service pack 3!
sigh I'm having all sorts of little glitches that are really
annoying. One upgrades to a "higher" OS only to have troubles one
didn't have with an older one!

So going to post in Windows 2000 groups. Hopefully someone there
knows what might be going one!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think I probably haven't done it in Windows 2000 because I just copied the
file I had from an earlier version. I suspect that if I ran the macro now
(if it worked), I'd get a lot more button faces than my current table
includes, which would probably be worthwhile.

wrote:

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
StargateFan

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:01:19 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I think I probably haven't done it in Windows 2000 because I just copied the
file I had from an earlier version. I suspect that if I ran the macro now
(if it worked), I'd get a lot more button faces than my current table
includes, which would probably be worthwhile.

Just to put closure on this, my original FACEID file never did work in
Word 2K with new Win2K OS. But I recently recvd gift of Office 2003
and the template works fine in Word 2003 (?!). I've tried it several
times now on different days and reliably all 4 panes of FACEIDs show
up.

So though can't say why I was having the problem before, it seems to
no longer be an issue in this newer office.

Go figure. But it works now so end of worries for now.

Thanks. D

wrote:

[...]

Template behavior in Windows Explorer Shhted Microsoft Word Help 3 October 14th 05 10:05 PM
can i install works suite 2000 on to windows xp BLUE Microsoft Word Help 2 August 17th 05 01:33 PM
Microsoft Works Suite 2000 compatable with Windows XL? EdieCas Microsoft Word Help 2 June 21st 05 06:40 AM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Why only 74 Fonts available in Word 2000 while using Windows XP H. bobwunder Microsoft Word Help 2 February 22nd 05 01:53 AM