Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Not Really Me

Default Copy custom properties?

Is it possible to copy custom properties from one document to another?

We use a lot of document sets of 12-20 docs on a project basis. Currently
we are manually modifying the custom properties we have added on every
document.

As an alternative, can these be accessed by an external program that could
make the same update to each?

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Hi Scott,

Yes, custom properties can be copied from one document to others. This
can be done with a VBA macro inside Word, or it can be done with an
external program that uses the Dsofile.dll that's available at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224351.

Before the macro or program can be designed, it would be important to
know what the documents are, what folder they live in, and which
properties should be copied. Would all the custom properties in the
source document be copied to all the destination documents, or only
some of them? Are there different sets of properties for different
kinds of destinations? Are the properties all strings, or a mix of
strings, numbers, and dates? Should there be any verification -- i.e.,
what should the program do if an expected property is missing? How
should error conditions be handled, such as a destination file that's
read-only or password-protected?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:31:34 -0700, "Not Really Me"
wrote:

Is it possible to copy custom properties from one document to another?

We use a lot of document sets of 12-20 docs on a project basis. Currently
we are manually modifying the custom properties we have added on every
document.

As an alternative, can these be accessed by an external program that could
make the same update to each?

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Not Really Me

Jay,

Thanks for the pointer. That seems like it will work fine.

Scott