Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EdSki

Default Why does WORD always save documents as Word Notepad?

Everytime I create a WORD document, I select save as word document, but it
winds up being saved as a Word Notepad document. HELP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Have you tried opening the files within Word? I assume you mean when you
click on a file name in Explorer, Notepad opens. If that's the case you just
need to change the file association.

Assuming you are using Win XP:

To change the program that opens a file

Open My Documents.

If the file you want is not located in My Documents or its subfolders, use
Search to find it. To open Search, click Start, and then click Search.

Right-click the file you want to open in a different program, and then click
Properties.

On the General tab, click Change.

Click the name of the program in which you want the file to open.

Notes

To open My Documents, click Start, and then click My Documents.

This change affects all files that have the same file name extension as the
file you selected. For example, if you change the program that opens a .jpg
file, all .jpg files will open in this program.

You can also change the program that opens a file by right-clicking the
file, clicking Open With, and then clicking the program name. If the program
you want is not displayed, click Browse.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"EdSki" wrote in message
Everytime I create a WORD document, I select save as word document, but it
winds up being saved as a Word Notepad document. HELP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

They're not being saved as Notepad files, just with the wrong icon and file
association. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm