Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
montauklite

Default Font box on format bar --is it supposed to be wysiwyg??

I'm using Word 2003 and I seem to remember the fonts changing (wysiwyg) in
the font box on the format bar as each corresponding font was used. Now, the
font in the format box remains the same no matter what font is being used.
Is it possible that I screwed that up by playing with "Windows" font
settings. TIA Jerry
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Tools Customize Options check "List font names in their font"

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

montauklite wrote:
I'm using Word 2003 and I seem to remember the fonts changing
(wysiwyg) in the font box on the format bar as each corresponding
font was used. Now, the font in the format box remains the same no
matter what font is being used. Is it possible that I screwed that up
by playing with "Windows" font settings. TIA Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

In Word, click on Tools | Customize | Options tab | check the
"List font names in their font" box | OK.

montauklite wrote:
I'm using Word 2003 and I seem to remember the fonts changing (wysiwyg) in
the font box on the format bar as each corresponding font was used. Now, the
font in the format box remains the same no matter what font is being used.
Is it possible that I screwed that up by playing with "Windows" font
settings. TIA Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
montauklite

Sorry, I jumped the gun when I said it answered the question. The drop down
menu is wysiwyg and has been all the time--the font box on the format bar
doesn't change no matter what font has been selected, either as a default
font or a font changed on the fly. Thanks again. Jerry

montauklite wrote:
I'm using Word 2003 and I seem to remember the fonts changing (wysiwyg) in
the font box on the format bar as each corresponding font was used. Now, the
font in the format box remains the same no matter what font is being used.
Is it possible that I screwed that up by playing with "Windows" font
settings. TIA Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
montauklite

Hi Susan,
I'm saying that the font used in the "Font" box on the format bar, right
next to the font size box, stays constant, no matter what font is being used.
Let's say it says Arial--if I change the font, either default or on the fly
the name of the font being used is showing up IN arial, not wysiwyg. What I
type in the document is in the correct font, the drop down list is in wysiwyg
but the font of the term describing the current font doesn't change--it is
not wysiwyg. Should it be? Thanks

montauklite wrote:
I'm using Word 2003 and I seem to remember the fonts changing

(wysiwyg) in
the font box on the format bar as each corresponding font was used.

Now, the
font in the format box remains the same no matter what font is being

used.
Is it possible that I screwed that up by playing with "Windows" font
settings. TIA Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

No, that's normal behavior. Only the dropdown list uses the fonts.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

montauklite wrote:
I'm using Word 2003 and I seem to remember the fonts changing

(wysiwyg) in
the font box on the format bar as each corresponding font was used.

Now, the
font in the format box remains the same no matter what font is being

used.
Is it possible that I screwed that up by playing with "Windows" font
settings. TIA Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Despite the fact that you have checked the box for "List font names in their
font" on the Options tab of Tools | Customize? I can see that this would be
confusing, but that's just the way it works (note that it says "List font
names," not "Display font names"). If you want to see how the font looks,
you have to drop down the list.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you saying it doesn't show what font is in use at the insertion

point?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.