BW

Default Format Excel data for merging in Word

Hi - I'm doing a mail merge to pull tax-deductable amounts (about 2500
records) from Excel into a Word form letter, and the data I'm merging refuses
to look the way I want it to (expressed as currency in the Word doc).

Obviously I want the amounts that come over to appear as $xx.xx. The data I
received was exported from a SQL query, and in raw form it appeared sometimes
with 6 or 8 numbers past the decimal (i.e. xx.xxxxxxxx). I've tried many
different things, such as:

1) Formatting the cells as currency with two decimal places. When merged,
it still appeared with many numbers, or if it was a round number like $10.60,
it would appear as "$10.6".

2) I tried cutting all the data from the spreadsheet, pasting into Notepad,
and then cutting from there back into Excel so as to remove any formatting.
When merged, still appeared as above.

3) Finally, saving as a .csv, and then opening again in Excel. Same thing as
1 and 2 above when I tried to merge it. Not sure what I thought that would
accomplish, but I'm running out of ideas. Maybe there is some field
formatting I'm not familiar with that could solve it?

Any help would be wonderful! Thanks -
Doug Robbins

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP