That guy.

Default Simple way of banishing Full Screen toolbar?

In Word XP when you are in Full Screen mode there is this little toolbar or
message box that says Full Screen / Close Full Screen. I read on a MVPS
site a way of getting rid of it using a macro but either the directions
weren't clear (imagine that on a Windows related help site!) or I just can't
understand their English. Is there a simple way of doing this without using
a macro? When they make it difficult for newbies (and we're all newbies at
some point) they just stop so many people from enjoying their computer and
taking it to the next level of customization. Pity. Suggestions?

Larry

I understand your wish that Word were more customizable without macros.
But unfortunately that's the way it is. Word has so many features, how
would Word decide which things to make doable for newbies without a
special macro to do it? There would have to be thousands and thousands
of built-in commands. It wouldn't be workable. So the way it is, Word
is extremely customizable, and each person does the customizations that
he wants.

If you want to disable a built-in toolbar you can only do that with a
macro. It's not difficult.

Here is a macro for this that I use myself. Where it says Sub is the
beginning of the macro, where it says End Sub is the end of the macro.
Now go to this page at the MVP site where it explains how to create a
macro. You're going to learn how to open up the VBA code window and
paste this macro into it. Then you will learn how to run this macro
from the Macro dialog box, or, if you get more advanced, to place the
command on a menu.

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Macros...eateAMacro.htm

Sub FullScreenToolbarToggle()

Dim msg1, msg2, Title
msg1 = "Enable Full Screen toolbar."
msg2 = "Disable Full Screen toolbar."
Title = "Full Screen Toolbar Toggle"

If CommandBars("Full Screen").Enabled = False Then
If MsgBox(msg1, vbOKCancel, Title) = vbOK Then _
CommandBars("Full Screen").Enabled = True
ElseIf CommandBars("Full Screen").Enabled = True Then
If MsgBox(msg2, vbOKCancel, Title) = vbOK Then _
CommandBars("Full Screen").Enabled = False
End If

End Sub

You want to customize the way Word operatesdisable the Full

That guy. wrote:
In Word XP when you are in Full Screen mode there is this little
toolbar or message box that says Full Screen / Close Full Screen. I
read on a MVPS site a way of getting rid of it using a macro but
either the directions weren't clear (imagine that on a Windows
related help site!) or I just can't understand their English. Is
there a simple way of doing this without using a macro? When they
make it difficult for newbies (and we're all newbies at some point)
they just stop so many people from enjoying their computer and taking
it to the next level of customization. Pity. Suggestions?

That guy.

[...]

At http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/FullScreen.htm they have instructions
for getting rid of this thing. This is what my macro looks like after
trying to decipher the instructions above.

Sub BanishFullScreenToolbar()
' CommandBars("Full Screen") .Enabled = False
End Sub

The toolbar is still there. Do I need to restart the computer or Word or
something? Do I need to have no Word windows open at the time? Or did I
not do the macro correctly?

Larry

If you have that apostrophe preceding the line that says CommandBars,
then the macro won't run. That apostrophe is called a comment mark.
Any line that has that will not run. So just delete the apostophe and
try again. The toolbar should disappear instantly.

Sub BanishFullScreenToolbar()
' CommandBars("Full Screen") .Enabled = False
End Sub

I sent you my somewhat more complicated because it was the one I had.
But it wasn't necessary. That one line of code is all you need.

Larry

"That guy." wrote in message
[...]

That guy.

This is what I have now.

Sub BanishFullScreenToolbar()
CommandBars("Full Screen") .Enabled = False
End Sub

Doesn't work. The first line is highlighted in yellow. The second line is
red. But before it was green after I moved it to the left after deleting
the apostrophe. I wonder if they could possibly make this more cryptic and
mysterious!

If you have that apostrophe preceding the line that says CommandBars,
then the macro won't run. That apostrophe is called a comment mark.
Any line that has that will not run. So just delete the apostrophe and

"That guy." wrote in message
[...]

TF

Sad to say that you used to be able to dismiss it permanently prior to Word
XP. Seems that so many users complained that they had accidentally lost it
by clicking the little X and were stuck in FSV so had to call Microsoft,
being unable to read that the shortcut for exiting FSV (and Print Preview)
is the Escape key! The punishment is that the rest of the 300 Million Word
users who never used the FSV Toolbar and find it the Fifth Horseman of the
Apocalypse now have to go to ridiculous lengths to dismiss a tiny little
Toolbar that neither goes away or remains static when ordered!

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"That guy." wrote in message
: In Word XP when you are in Full Screen mode there is this little toolbar
or
: message box that says Full Screen / Close Full Screen. I read on a MVPS
: site a way of getting rid of it using a macro but either the directions
: weren't clear (imagine that on a Windows related help site!) or I just
can't
: understand their English. Is there a simple way of doing this without
using
: a macro? When they make it difficult for newbies (and we're all newbies
at
: some point) they just stop so many people from enjoying their computer and
: taking it to the next level of customization. Pity. Suggestions?
:
: