Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melissa Melissa is offline

Default sorting

How do you sort 5 digit zips with zip+4's correctly?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TWVsaXNzYQ==?=,

How do you sort 5 digit zips with zip+4's correctly?

In what context, more specifically? And in which version of
Word?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 17 2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melissa Melissa is offline

I have Microsoft Word 2003 & my addresses are in Microsoft Office Excel 2003.
The zip + 4 codes sort after the highest 5 digit zip code, instead of in
with the 5 digit codes, both in Excel & in mail merge. I need to know how to
sort them, either in Excel or in mail merge. Thanks!

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TWVsaXNzYQ==?=,

How do you sort 5 digit zips with zip+4's correctly?

In what context, more specifically? And in which version of
Word?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 17 2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TWVsaXNzYQ==?=,

I have Microsoft Word 2003 & my addresses are in Microsoft Office Excel 2003.
The zip + 4 codes sort after the highest 5 digit zip code, instead of in
with the 5 digit codes, both in Excel & in mail merge. I need to know how to
sort them, either in Excel or in mail merge. Thanks!

See if this does what you're looking for

1. Select the ZIP column in Excel
2. From the Data menu, choose "Text to columns"
3. Click through to Step 3 and activate "Text" as the data type, so that Excel
explicitly formats the data as text and not as numeric

Now both Excel and Word should sort the column based on the first, second, etc.
numbers (characters) in each cell.

If you don't format the data as text, Word (at least) will try to perform a
subtraction (due to the -) before sorting.