Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
katy[_2_] katy[_2_] is offline

Default Is it possible to use Word to create a document like this?

This link should take you to the example of the type of document we want to
create.... using Word. Is this possible? perhaps by using wingdings font
and/or symbols and does this look time-consuming using Word?

The link is:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...7e67e&ei=UTF-8

It's for a math professor to create exams/etc. with. I know Word contains a
lot of symbols and the wingdings has a LOT to choose from but it could be
time-consuming to find all that are needed. The diagram could possibly be
done with Auto Shapes or Line Art. That looks easy compared to the font
Is that Greek, does anyone know? Or a Latin symbol? Or Arabic?

Would it be possible to choose just one Font (ie which Wingding) or is this
something that is usually created with a mathematical program, not Word at
all?

Thanks for ANY advice........... katy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tom Conrad Tom Conrad is offline

Katy,

Yes, word can do this.
It would involve using the equation editor, and the drawing tools.

The example shown has nine formula, and one graphic. Most of the formulas
are very simple, and could probably be typed out vice using the Eq editor.
The cube root formulas will require the Eq editor. The Eq editor has its
limits. There are several software packages that perform the creation of
equations, and insert math symbology into word, or other software. (Google,
equation editor for further assistance.)

--
Tom Conrad

===
"katy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
katy[_2_] katy[_2_] is offline

Thanks Tom, this sure did look promising. I put in my Office cd and found
the Equation Editor, installed it according to this site
http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/W...on_editor.html
Everything went well with the install, no errors, was Successful. Then I
opened Word (even after restarting the computer) and went through this
procedure
http://www.ele.uri.edu/Courses/ele34...equations.html
but I cannot seem to be able to drag the Equation Editor to the toolbar.
It's checked so it's supposedly viewable but I cannot find the Editor icon
anywhere.

Can you think why this is not showing up? I did choose Run All From
computer when I installed it, not just Run From Computer. It's so strange
that everything went well with no errors but there's no toolbar to view. I
attached a pic, hope it's ok.........

TIA for your help always!!!
katy

"katy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I think you may be confused. Equation Editor has a separate toolbar of its
own that is displayed only when EE is open. You can, however, add to any
toolbar a button to open the Equation Editor, following the instructions
given at the cited Web site, i.e., open Tools | Customize, select the
Commands tab, select the Insert category, scroll down to the Equation Editor
command, and drag it to a toolbar. When you click on that button, EE will
open and its toolbar will be displayed. It's a separate applet that runs
within Word, not part of Word itself.

Also, you can find more authoritative help on EE at www.dessci.com, the Web
site of Design Science, which makes EE; though I confess the EE TechNotes
are quite difficult to find, I know they exist.

"katy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tom Conrad Tom Conrad is offline

Regarding EE, see what Suzanne posted.

Regarding the cylinder shown on your example.
It can be drawn using 4 autoshapes, 1) a cylinder, 2) an oval, 3) two
horizontal lines (radii).

The cylinder is the bottom object. since the cylinder cannot be drawn as a
see through object, you need to overlay the oval on top of the cylinder,
aligned with cylinders bottom edge. If you color shade or color fill the
objects, then you may want to overlay a second oval at the cylinders top
edge. The radii are the last objects, they are aligned with the centers of
the ovals, and are right aligned with the cylinder.

--
Tom Conrad

"katy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Katy, you've been given some good advice so far, but I want to
make 2 things clear: One, the two toolbars containing all the
Equation Editor palette buttons will never appear on the Word
toolbar. All that will appear by following the procedures
mentioned earlier is the "square root of alpha" icon that will
launch Equation Editor when you click it. Two, when you drag this
icon onto the Word toolbar, you must drag it to an existing
toolbar. If you try to drag it to an empty spot to the right of
an existing toolbar, it won't go there. Put it anywhere you want,
but it has to go onto a toolbar that's already there.

The tech notes Suzanne mentioned are he

http://www.dessci.com/en/support/mathtype/tncentral.htm

Some of these apply to products other than Equation Editor, so
you may want to use the Tech Note Wizard to display only the ones
that apply to Equation Editor.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

On 8-Jul-2007, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I think you may be confused. Equation Editor has a separate
toolbar of its own that is displayed only when EE is open. You
can, however, add to any toolbar a button to open the Equation
Editor, following the instructions given at the cited Web site,
i.e., open Tools | Customize, select the Commands tab, select
the Insert category, scroll down to the Equation Editor
command, and drag it to a toolbar. When you click on that
button, EE will open and its toolbar will be displayed. It's a
separate applet that runs within Word, not part of Word itself.

Also, you can find more authoritative help on EE at
www.dessci.com, the Web site of Design Science, which
makes EE; though I confess the EE TechNotes are quite
difficult to find, I know they exist.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"katy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
katy[_2_] katy[_2_] is offline

Thank you everyone!! Yes I did get it wrong in that I expected dragging the
icon to the toolbar area would place the toolbar there but when I dragged
the icon to an existing toolbar, it slid in beautifully. It's great now!!!
Thanks EVERYONE!!!
katy