Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MT532 MT532 is offline

Default Why do the margins I set up never stay as I set them?

I go through the document and change the margins through page setup as I need
them, save the document and close it. When I open the file again, all the
margins are messed up as if I never changed them. When I go through page
setup I change the margins and select "from this point forward" and then go
to the next page and do the same thing all the way to the last page of the
document. Then I save it and when I reopen it they're all messed up again.
Because of this, it keeps adding pages in between, putting two or so lines on
the next page, etc. I'm new to Word. I'm used to typing in Word Perfect.
Any suggestions would be very much welcomed. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Margins are a section property. When you choose "This point forward," you're
forcing Word to insert section breaks. This is not really a very systematic
approach. If what you want to change is the margins for specific text, then
use paragraph indents instead, not page margins. Do you really need
different margins for every page? If so, then you should be inserting Next
Page section breaks yourself rather than letting Word insert section breaks
(which are more likely Continuous breaks). Keep in mind, though, that text
cannot flow through a section break, so if you add or remove text on a page,
you're going to end up with problems.