Sharon

Default how do I fix outline numbered headings?

I am using Word 2002. I set up Headings 1, 2, and 3 using the Customized
Outline Numbered list dialog box. For Heading 3, I get the following:

3.0
3.1
3.1.1
3.1.2
3.2
3.1.3
3.1.4

As you can see, the second set of Heading 3 numbers continues the list from
the first set, rather than starting over under 3.2. I am at a loss as to how
to fix this. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Sharon

Sharon

Yes, I have done what you suggested. I actually seemd to fix the problem by
going into the document, selecting the Headings that were incorrectly
numbered (Heading 3), changing them to Heading 2, and then clicking Indent to
demote them. They were then numbered correctly.

Is that an appropriate fix?
Thanks for your help.

"Sharon" wrote in message
I am using Word 2002. I set up Headings 1, 2, and 3 using the Customized
Outline Numbered list dialog box. For Heading 3, I get the following:

3.0
3.1
3.1.1
3.1.2
3.2
3.1.3
3.1.4

As you can see, the second set of Heading 3 numbers continues the list

from
the first set, rather than starting over under 3.2. I am at a loss as to

how
to fix this. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Sharon

Have you set up your outline numbering as described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...umbering.html? This is the
best way I know to make numbering unbreakable.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure that (a) the second number is actually a field and not just a
typed number 1 (it should appear gray in the "Number format" box) and

(b)
you have checked the box for "Restart numbering after..." and selected

the
appropriate level.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Sharon" wrote in message
I am using Word 2002. I set up Headings 1, 2, and 3 using the

Customized
Outline Numbered list dialog box. For Heading 3, I get the following:

3.0
3.1
3.1.1
3.1.2
3.2
3.1.3
3.1.4

As you can see, the second set of Heading 3 numbers continues the list

from
the first set, rather than starting over under 3.2. I am at a loss as

how
to fix this. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Sharon

Sharon

Yes, I followed her directions to the letter. But the numbering wouldn't
change until I renamed and then demoted the headings. I still can't figure
out why, and since I'm not sure that I did it the best way, I have no idea if
it will break again.

Word can be so temperamental