Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Kat Kat is offline

Default Table of Contents update page numbers

I have a very large document with a table of contents. I want to update the
page numbers ONLY and not the titles as I have manually added to them. The
update table option won't let me choose to update page numbers only and just
defaults to updating the whole table. I'm using Word 07 and 03 and it doesn't
work in either. Thx in advance for rescuing me!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

What you have experienced is what Word is supposed to do: make sure that your
TOC reflects the contents of the relevant paragraphs when you update the TOC.

There are, however, methods that make it possible to show only part a
paragraph in the TOC. See "How can I include just part of a paragraph in my
table of contents" at:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Kat" wrote:

I have a very large document with a table of contents. I want to update the
page numbers ONLY and not the titles as I have manually added to them. The
update table option won't let me choose to update page numbers only and just
defaults to updating the whole table. I'm using Word 07 and 03 and it doesn't
work in either. Thx in advance for rescuing me!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Kat Kat is offline

Okay. But it's like Russian Roulette when I hit the update button if it's
going to give me the option of either updating the entire table or just the
page numbers. What's the trick to consistently choosing what I need? Thx!

"Kat" wrote:

I have a very large document with a table of contents. I want to update the
page numbers ONLY and not the titles as I have manually added to them. The
update table option won't let me choose to update page numbers only and just
defaults to updating the whole table. I'm using Word 07 and 03 and it doesn't
work in either. Thx in advance for rescuing me!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Usually if there is content to be updated, you won't be given a choice (Word
seems to know that this has changed). If you're given a choice at all, it's
usually safe to choose just the page numbers unless you want to be
especially thorough.