MDavison

Default Plain text formatting entire document

I am at a new firm and things are done a bit differently. Novell/Win XP
clients/ Office 2003.
I have a user who scans a document, cuts the text out, then uses Paste
Special to paste as Plain Text into a fresh doc. When she tries to say Bold,
or Center just a single line, the ENTIRE document becomes bold or centered
or whatever. If she selects two or more lines, it does not happen. I have
cleaned out the keyboard, and looked for every switch imaginable.

Has anyone seen this and what is the fix? Do we need to reinstall Word?
Thanks,
-Monica

Charles Kenyon

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...eformatted.htm

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"MDavison" wrote in message
I am at a new firm and things are done a bit differently. Novell/Win XP
clients/ Office 2003.
I have a user who scans a document, cuts the text out, then uses Paste
Special to paste as Plain Text into a fresh doc. When she tries to say
Bold,
or Center just a single line, the ENTIRE document becomes bold or centered
or whatever. If she selects two or more lines, it does not happen. I have
cleaned out the keyboard, and looked for every switch imaginable.

Has anyone seen this and what is the fix? Do we need to reinstall Word?
Thanks,
-Monica

MDavison

Thanks Charles, but this was for 2002 and we are using 2003. The image is
set to have that option cleared by default. So it is not workign still. Any
other thoughts?
-Monica

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"MDavison" wrote in message
I am at a new firm and things are done a bit differently. Novell/Win XP
clients/ Office 2003.
I have a user who scans a document, cuts the text out, then uses Paste
Special to paste as Plain Text into a fresh doc. When she tries to say
Bold,
or Center just a single line, the ENTIRE document becomes bold or

centered
or whatever. If she selects two or more lines, it does not happen. I

have
cleaned out the keyboard, and looked for every switch imaginable.

Has anyone seen this and what is the fix? Do we need to reinstall Word?
Thanks,
-Monica

Klaus Linke

Hi Monica,

It's a document/template setting... Are you really sure it's not checked =
in some of her document(s) or template(s)?
And it applies to Word2003 docs just as well as Word2002.

Regards,
Klaus

"MDavison" wrote:
Thanks Charles, but this was for 2002 and we are using 2003. The image =

is
set to have that option cleared by default. So it is not workign =

still. Any
other thoughts?
-Monica
=20
=20
"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
=

"MDavison" wrote in message
I am at a new firm and things are done a bit differently. =

Novell/Win XP
clients/ Office 2003.
I have a user who scans a document, cuts the text out, then uses =

Paste
Special to paste as Plain Text into a fresh doc. When she tries to =

say
Bold,
or Center just a single line, the ENTIRE document becomes bold or

centered
or whatever. If she selects two or more lines, it does not happen. =

have
cleaned out the keyboard, and looked for every switch imaginable.

Has anyone seen this and what is the fix? Do we need to reinstall =

Word?
Thanks,
-Monica

=20

MDavison

Yes, I am very very sure. They don't even use "prompt to update style" or
auto lists or anything.
You want I should send a screen shot?
-Monica

"MDavison" wrote in message
I am at a new firm and things are done a bit differently. Novell/Win XP
clients/ Office 2003.
I have a user who scans a document, cuts the text out, then uses Paste
Special to paste as Plain Text into a fresh doc. When she tries to say
Bold,
or Center just a single line, the ENTIRE document becomes bold or

centered
or whatever. If she selects two or more lines, it does not happen. I

have
cleaned out the keyboard, and looked for every switch imaginable.

Has anyone seen this and what is the fix? Do we need to reinstall

Word?
Thanks,
-Monica

MDavison

Ok - it gets even MORE annoying.
I have gone through and found EVERY copy of Normal.dot possible and made
sure that ther eis NO check in the box for "Update Automatically" for the
Normal Style. However, whether the user opens a new blank doc from MailSite
or just directly from Word directly, the dang thing STILL turns it back on
for a new blank doc!! I have saved over the template, I have used "FilePage
Setup DEfault" to modify the template...NOTHING IS WORKING.

Where is the copy of Normal.dot that the winword.exe accesses when it starts
up? I thought I found every copy when I did search, but some how, I must be
missing one. Grrrrr.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
No, don't post a screen shot, but I would be interested in seeing a small
sample. You can send it to my email.

so
all may benefit.

"MDavison" wrote in message
I am at a new firm and things are done a bit differently.

Novell/Win
XP
clients/ Office 2003.
I have a user who scans a document, cuts the text out, then uses

Paste
Special to paste as Plain Text into a fresh doc. When she tries to

say
Bold,
or Center just a single line, the ENTIRE document becomes bold or
centered
or whatever. If she selects two or more lines, it does not happen.

have
cleaned out the keyboard, and looked for every switch imaginable.

Has anyone seen this and what is the fix? Do we need to reinstall

Word?
Thanks,
-Monica

This is most likely the result of an add-in modifying Word.

"MDavison" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"MDavison" wrote:
Thanks Charles, but this was for 2002 and we are using 2003. The

image
is
set to have that option cleared by default. So it is not workign

still.
Any
other thoughts?
-Monica

"Charles Kenyon" wrote

in
message ...

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...eformatted.htm

--

Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version

of

"MDavison" wrote in message
[...]

Word Formatting entire document instead of selected text... Kara Microsoft Word Help 2 January 26th 05 10:22 PM
How do I edit text of a scanned document? Toody Microsoft Word Help 2 January 14th 05 10:38 AM
Paste exact text as formatted in another document? Top Spin New Users 3 January 12th 05 07:17 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
When I change text formatting, the entire document is changed mikem Microsoft Word Help 3 December 10th 04 04:07 PM