Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bobbiecat1 Bobbiecat1 is offline

Default Positioning copy at an exact line

I would like a text line to start at exactly 5.25" from the top margin. How
do I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JERRY JERRY is offline

Draw the line, using the drawing tools. If you're in Word 2003, they're on
the Drawing toolbar. If you're in 2007, they're on the Insert tab, under
Illustrations and Shapes.

Then select the line, right-click on it, and choose Format AutoShape. On the
Layout tab (pretty much the same in 2003 or 2007), click "In front of text"
as a wrapping style and click Advanced. On the Advanced Layout window, under
Vertical, choose Absolute position and set it to 5.25" below top margin.

I hope this helps.

Jerry

"Bobbiecat1" wrote:

I would like a text line to start at exactly 5.25" from the top margin. How
do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JERRY JERRY is offline

I just re-read your original post. Is it a line of text you want positioned,
rather than a graphic line? If so, ignore my previous post. If the line of
text is the first thing on a page, just select the first paragraph on the
page and format the paragraph to have 5.25 inches of space before it. Then
make sure that any subsequent paragraphs have your normal spacing.

If it's not the first thing on the page, you could float a text box on the
page and position it as I described positioning the line in my previous post.

"Bobbiecat1" wrote:

I would like a text line to start at exactly 5.25" from the top margin. How
do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This requirement is rather vague. Do you want the top of the text to be
5.25" from the top margin or the bottom of the text to be 5.25". If the top
what do you want to do about the differing heights of the characters. If the
bottom what about the descenders (g, p, q, y)? What do you mean by the top
'margin'? Do you mean the top of he paper, the default top margin set for
your Word version or some personal top margin setting?

Whichever it is, you will need to adjust either the top margin or the space
before the first paragraph to achieve the effect you want, and note that the
measurements you add to the dialogs may not give the exact results you
require as they do not account for the different internal space in the font
construction.