Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kent V. Busse, J.D. Kent V. Busse, J.D. is offline

Default labels without formfeed--3" wide x 1" high page setup

Dot matrix printer, ONE-UP industry standard labels (1" high, 3" wide).
Document is ONE GRAPHIC IMAGE.

The page setup and margins are working fine, and one label prints perfectly.
However, regardless of my "form length" setting on the printer (which goes
down only to 3"), Word kicks out a full 11" length of labels as if I had
inserted letter size paper FOR EVERY INDIVIDUAL COPY I have requested. I
have specified the printer model and "tractor feed" for paper source. I
don't mind the objection that my top margin is too small; the printer starts
right where I want it. My problem is the BLANK LABELS that come out
afterward. Even with the printer set to 3" form length, Word still ejects
the whole 11" pseudo-page EVEN THOUGH my page setup clearly specifies 1"
paper height and my logo image is smaller than that.

The result is identical using the Tools menu Envelopes and Labels, "single
label."

NOTE: After I print some of these identical logo labels, I use another
program to print addresses. That requires parking the printer in EXACT ONE
INCH INCREMENTS. My addressing software does that perfectly so I never have
to reposition labels in the printer. Now I have to teach WORD to do the
same thing: print the given number of identical copies at exactly one inch
each (not 11 of them at once or 10 blanks) and then stop in the right place.

How can I kill the unwanted rolling?

--
Kent V. Busse, J.D.
www.acomputerwiz.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kent V. Busse, J.D. Kent V. Busse, J.D. is offline

Avery Standard
Type: Address
Height: 0.94"
Width: 3.5"
Page size: 4.25" roll

I set that before posting my first message. I have tested and confirmed
that I have all the right settings and after one label prints, the printer
rolls up the rest of an 11" page. I don't think it is the fault of the
printer. As I explained, my label database program prints any selected
number of labels and then the printer stops exactly at the top of the NEXT
label. These graphic logo labels MUST do the same thing.

I do appreciate your quick response, and I await some help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
In the Label Options dialog, choose a "roll" type label.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word is very strictly tied to the printer driver - unlike some other
applications which address the printer directly. It will only print what the
driver allows it to do. You may have to dig more deeply into the printer
setup and even then it may not work unless there is another suitable driver
available. Does the driver have a page setting for continuous paper or does
it only have 'fan fold'

If the driver accepts PCL commands or Epson escape codes, you may be able to
set a Print field to roll the printer back to the required label (or prevent
it from rolling on to the next 'page') but you are going to have to do some
experimenting.

If you have Publisher see if that will work any better. Publisher is a
better tool for labels with graphics.

Kent V. Busse, J.D. wrote:
Avery Standard
Type: Address
Height: 0.94"
Width: 3.5"
Page size: 4.25" roll

I set that before posting my first message. I have tested and
confirmed that I have all the right settings and after one label
prints, the printer rolls up the rest of an 11" page. I don't think
it is the fault of the printer. As I explained, my label database
program prints any selected number of labels and then the printer
stops exactly at the top of the NEXT label. These graphic logo
labels MUST do the same thing.
I do appreciate your quick response, and I await some help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
In the Label Options dialog, choose a "roll" type label.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kent V. Busse, J.D. Kent V. Busse, J.D. is offline

THANK YOU! It is a relief to get advice that matches my problem. My
version of Publisher is old and has MUCH LESS selection of label stock or
print setup. It will obviously be easier for me to program my software to
do the graphic than it will be to find a program that does. I APPRECIATE
YOUR HELP.

Kent V. Busse, J.D. wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can modify the paper and label size in Publisher (2003) but without the
printer to test I cannot say whether it will work. You could ask in a
Publisher forum.