Debbie

Default Unwanted tabs

I have the Automatically Update Styles checkbox selected for my template,
because I need to be able to update all styles without opening each document.
HOWEVER, everytime I open a document with the template attached, it throws
in unwanted tabs in the Heading and Bullet styles. Help !!
Anne Troy

So open the template directly and all by itself and modify those styles to
NOT have all those tabs.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Debbie" wrote in message
I have the Automatically Update Styles checkbox selected for my template,
because I need to be able to update all styles without opening each
document.
HOWEVER, everytime I open a document with the template attached, it throws
in unwanted tabs in the Heading and Bullet styles. Help !!

Jean-Guy Marcil

Debbie was telling us:
Debbie nous racontait que :

I have the Automatically Update Styles checkbox selected for my

Do you mean the check box in the Templates and Add-ins... dialog (which is a
document setting, not a template one) or the checkbox in the style
definition dialog?

template, because I need to be able to update all styles without
opening each document. HOWEVER, everytime I open a document with the

Keep in mind that if the template style definitions are changed, the
documents created from that template will eventually have to be opened and
saved for those changes to be reflected in them...

template attached, it throws in unwanted tabs in the Heading and
Bullet styles. Help !!

What Word version?

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

Debbie

I'm using 2003. The selected checkbox is in the Templates and Add-ins dialog
box. When I open the document and the styles are automatically updated,
there is an extra tab inserted in the Heading and Bullet styles. This tab
does not exist in the document nor the template. Word will not insert this
tab if I DESELECT the auto-update checkbox in the Templates and Add-ins
dialog box. Just wondered if this was a bug.

Do you mean the check box in the Templates and Add-ins... dialog (which is a
document setting, not a template one) or the checkbox in the style
definition dialog?
Keep in mind that if the template style definitions are changed, the
documents created from that template will eventually have to be opened and
saved for those changes to be reflected in them...
What Word version?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Debbie was telling us:
Debbie nous racontait que :

I have the Automatically Update Styles checkbox selected for my
template, because I need to be able to update all styles without
opening each document. HOWEVER, everytime I open a document with the
template attached, it throws in unwanted tabs in the Heading and
Bullet styles. Help !!

--
Salut!
_______________________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil - Word MVP
ISTOO
Word MVP site:
http://www.word.mvps.org

Jean-Guy Marcil

Debbie was telling us:
Debbie nous racontait que :

I'm using 2003. The selected checkbox is in the Templates and
Add-ins dialog box. When I open the document and the styles are
automatically updated, there is an extra tab inserted in the Heading
and Bullet styles. This tab does not exist in the document nor the
template. Word will not insert this tab if I DESELECT the
auto-update checkbox in the Templates and Add-ins dialog box. Just
wondered if this was a bug.

Well, it is a bug of some sort, but it is user related as well...

First, make sure you use the good technique for creating bulleted/numbered
styles, see:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html
and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

I have seen this behaviour in documents that had any of the following:

Too many "ill-defined" numbered/bulleted styles
Too many modifications applied "carelessly" to numbered/bulleted styles
Too many unnecessary numbered/bulleted styles clashing with each other (or
created based on each other)
Templates opened/modified/saved under different Word versions (especially
when one of the above applies)

I have just tested a brand spanking new template with three custom styles
(bullet, numbering, outline numbering) defined properly and with the Update
option activated checked. No problems observed (Word 2003 SP1).

So, first, create a quick template as I have (it takes less than 5 minutes)
and see if you have the same problematic behaviour. If you do, then there is
something going on with your version of Word (Do you have SP1 installed?).
If you do not see the behaviour, then the problem resides in your template.

At this point I would suggest that you recreate it. copy/paste all text, but
none of the section breaks or the last ¶ in the document. You will have to
recreate the section "Page setup," but you can copy/paste the header/footer
contents.
Doing so will also carry the styles to the new templates, but not a the
"garbage" Word keeps track of in its internal binary stuff, especially if
you have outline numbering.
You may have to recreate some styles if you do not have text in the template
that is currently formatted with those styles (or create temporary
paragraphs in your original template before doing the copy/paste).

But before going all this trouble, just create a blank template and
copy/paste a sample paragraph form your original template that is formatted
with the bulleted style and test the Update option when you create document
from this test template. If the problem goes away, you know the solution I
offer above will work. If not, try creating another test template, but this
time manually create the bullet style and test it again.

--
Salut!