Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberJay CyberJay is offline

Default Indents vs Tabs

Why in a numbered list does word change the indents if I change the start
re-numbering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Q3liZXJKYXk=?=,

Why in a numbered list does word change the indents if I change the start
re-numbering?

Did you change the indents for the paragraphs after applying the numbering?

Numbering settings take precedence over paragraph formatting, so when a list
"recalculates" the numbering settings will be re-applied.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberJay CyberJay is offline

Thanks for the response Cindy, but no, I made no changes. In fact, I was
only trying to demonstrate to my students how to apply Styles, so there was
no preceeding formatting at all. We created a numbered list, only three
lines, hit two hard returns and then wanted to restart the numbering for
another short list. When I set the list to start at 1, the whole list
bounced to the middle of the page.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Q3liZXJKYXk=?=,

Why in a numbered list does word change the indents if I change the start
re-numbering?

Did you change the indents for the paragraphs after applying the numbering?

Numbering settings take precedence over paragraph formatting, so when a list
"recalculates" the numbering settings will be re-applied.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Q3liZXJKYXk=?=,

no, I made no changes. In fact, I was
only trying to demonstrate to my students how to apply Styles, so there was
no preceeding formatting at all. We created a numbered list, only three
lines, hit two hard returns and then wanted to restart the numbering for
another short list. When I set the list to start at 1, the whole list
bounced to the middle of the page.

Odd. I don't suppose you saved that document? Which version of Word was it?

Indents for quotes SteveH Page Layout 3 March 16th 07 12:17 PM
Indents are different in 97 vs 2003 Mr. Smith Microsoft Word Help 0 November 28th 06 06:08 AM
How do I insert tabs or indents AFTER text? Robert Microsoft Word Help 1 October 14th 06 12:23 AM
Set tabs for three pages of figures and tabs remain same for all t CWD-the referee Microsoft Word Help 1 September 6th 06 05:59 PM
Please help with hanging indents Jim Page Layout 7 April 30th 05 05:27 AM